Apr 10, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Kari Lehtonen is hurt yet again (he’s day-to-day with a lower-body injury), so the Dallas Stars recalled Cristopher Nilstorp to pair with Richard Bachman for however long the Finnish workhorse is out.
The Stars surprised some by making Nilstorp (pictured dramatically) the team’s backup instead of Bachman earlier in the season, but the two have produced similar results.
By that we mean that there’s usually a significant drop-off between Lehtonen and whoever else takes over in net. For a team that at least placed itself back into the playoff discussion – even with long odds – losing their 29-year-old workhorse even for a few games could be fatal for those dreams.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12