Apr 10, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Sami Salo has gone through his own Achilles’ tendon recovery, so he has some firsthand experience on the issue and doesn’t foresee a problem with Ottawa Senators blueliner Erik Karlsson‘s recovery.
In fact, if anything, Salo thinks the 2012 Norris Trophy winner will come back stronger than ever.
“Speaking to the specialist who operated on mine — he actually did (soccer star David) Beckham’s Achilles, too — he said it’s actually stronger than your other (tendon),” said Salo, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “It shouldn’t be susceptible to any more (injuries), but when you do explosive training, anything’s possible, with all the torque and power you put into different training.
“I’ve met a few track-and-field triple jumpers who had Achilles (surgery) before and they returned to form and jumped longer than before, so (Karlsson’s recovery) shouldn’t be a problem.”
Of course, the Senators don’t really need Karlsson to come back better than he was. They’d gladly settle for getting the old version back.
Karlsson resumed skating less than two months after getting his tendon sliced. The typical recovery time takes six months and Salo was in that range, although Salo’s injury was more severe.
“When mine happened, it sounded like somebody shot a shotgun in the area, with the tendon exploding,” Salo explained. Plus Salo was 36 at the time while Karlsson has the advantage of being only 22 years old.
Ottawa Senators goaltender Craig Anderson doesn’t think it’d be far-fetched to see Karlsson return before the end of the regular season. However, the Senators haven’t provided a timetable for his return.
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 5
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 25
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)