Apr 10, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Sami Salo has gone through his own Achilles’ tendon recovery, so he has some firsthand experience on the issue and doesn’t foresee a problem with Ottawa Senators blueliner Erik Karlsson‘s recovery.
In fact, if anything, Salo thinks the 2012 Norris Trophy winner will come back stronger than ever.
“Speaking to the specialist who operated on mine — he actually did (soccer star David) Beckham’s Achilles, too — he said it’s actually stronger than your other (tendon),” said Salo, according to the Ottawa Citizen. “It shouldn’t be susceptible to any more (injuries), but when you do explosive training, anything’s possible, with all the torque and power you put into different training.
“I’ve met a few track-and-field triple jumpers who had Achilles (surgery) before and they returned to form and jumped longer than before, so (Karlsson’s recovery) shouldn’t be a problem.”
Of course, the Senators don’t really need Karlsson to come back better than he was. They’d gladly settle for getting the old version back.
Karlsson resumed skating less than two months after getting his tendon sliced. The typical recovery time takes six months and Salo was in that range, although Salo’s injury was more severe.
“When mine happened, it sounded like somebody shot a shotgun in the area, with the tendon exploding,” Salo explained. Plus Salo was 36 at the time while Karlsson has the advantage of being only 22 years old.
Ottawa Senators goaltender Craig Anderson doesn’t think it’d be far-fetched to see Karlsson return before the end of the regular season. However, the Senators haven’t provided a timetable for his return.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)