Apr 10, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Friday in New York, members of the International Olympic Committee, International Ice Hockey Federation, NHL, and NHL Players’ Association will meet to discuss participation in the 2014 Sochi Winter Games, according to an ESPN report.
There remains no agreement to send NHL players to Russia next February, and the report doesn’t suggest one will be reached Friday.
A month ago, IIHF president Rene Fasel said he remained “optimistic about the NHL’s participation in Sochi” and hoped an agreement between all the parties could be reached by “latest beginning of May.”
Travel, insurance and hospitality for players’ and owners’ families reportedly remain issues.
The CBC’s Elliotte Friedman had more on the insurance issue today.
For Team Canada alone, Friedman estimates it could cost in the neighborhood of $2.1 million to insure all the big NHL contracts.
Who’s going to pay for that?
Chances are, this all gets worked out. The thought of forcing players, especially Russian ones, to decide between going to Sochi and breaching their NHL contracts isn’t one that anyone wants to seriously entertain.
The 2018 Olympics in Pyeongchang may be another story, however.
Unless South Korea all of a sudden gets really good at hockey.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 15
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 17
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)