Apr 10, 2013, 7:17 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Shane Doan reflects on growing up in Alberta and watching games at the Edmonton Oilers’ Rexall Place. His Phoenix Coyotes will play in Edmonton on Wednesday in a must-win game for both teams. (Edmonton Journal)
Garret Ross has inked an entry-level deal with the Chicago Blackhawks. After being taken in the fifth round of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Ross stepped up with 90 points and 114 penalty minutes in 61 games with the OHL Saginaw Spirit in 2012-13. (Blackhawks.nhl.com)
Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Simon Despres has spent two straight games in the press box. When asked if the decision to put Robert Bortuzzo in the lineup instead of Despres was a difficult one, coach Dan Bylsma replied with “no” three times. (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review)
As weird as it might feel be for many people in Toronto, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the Maple Leafs playing in postseason contests this year. That would end the longest active playoff appearance drought in the NHL (the second longest belongs to the Edmonton Oilers). (Ottawa Citizen)
A look at the 2013 Frozen Four. (Penguins.nhl.com)
Calgary Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau will stay in Boston College for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s one of the finalist for the 2013 Hobey Baker Award, which goes to the NCAA’s top player. (Calgary Sun)
The United States defeated Team Canada to secure the gold medal in the 2013 IIHF Women’s World Championship. (Toronto Star)
You can check out the highlights from Chicago’s 1-0 victory over Minnesota below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
“This is not a full body check in which contact to the head was unavoidable,” ruled Brendan Shanahan.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Chicago is once again leading the NHL in attendance.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 9
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 40
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)