Apr 10, 2013, 7:17 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Shane Doan reflects on growing up in Alberta and watching games at the Edmonton Oilers’ Rexall Place. His Phoenix Coyotes will play in Edmonton on Wednesday in a must-win game for both teams. (Edmonton Journal)
Garret Ross has inked an entry-level deal with the Chicago Blackhawks. After being taken in the fifth round of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Ross stepped up with 90 points and 114 penalty minutes in 61 games with the OHL Saginaw Spirit in 2012-13. (Blackhawks.nhl.com)
Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Simon Despres has spent two straight games in the press box. When asked if the decision to put Robert Bortuzzo in the lineup instead of Despres was a difficult one, coach Dan Bylsma replied with “no” three times. (Pittsburgh Tribune-Review)
As weird as it might feel be for many people in Toronto, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the Maple Leafs playing in postseason contests this year. That would end the longest active playoff appearance drought in the NHL (the second longest belongs to the Edmonton Oilers). (Ottawa Citizen)
A look at the 2013 Frozen Four. (Penguins.nhl.com)
Calgary Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau will stay in Boston College for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s one of the finalist for the 2013 Hobey Baker Award, which goes to the NCAA’s top player. (Calgary Sun)
The United States defeated Team Canada to secure the gold medal in the 2013 IIHF Women’s World Championship. (Toronto Star)
You can check out the highlights from Chicago’s 1-0 victory over Minnesota below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
May 29, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
NHL Central Scouting thinks slightly more of the B.C. defender.
May 29, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Spent the past five seasons in the KHL.
May 29, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
That’s former NHL defenseman and current AHL Binghamton bench boss Luke Richardson.
May 29, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
This according to his club team, Avangard Omsk.
May 29, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
How does it compare to past promos?
May 29, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
“The last two years, we were a different team.”
May 29, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT
Well-traveled journeyman played big minutes for AHL Charlotte last season.
May 29, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
Wes McCauley and Kevin Pollock, who have a fair bit of history working these types of games.
May 29, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Moving to Iserlohn after a tumultuous 2014-15 campaign.
May 29, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
One year, two-way deal.
May 29, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
Draft picks to hire other team’s fired employees has rapidly become the standard.
May 29, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Detroit wants to keep Tony Granato.
May 29, 2015, 8:25 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 28, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
“They need to hear our anthem, that’s a part of losing.”
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 8
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 39
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)