Apr 10, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
Ah, the oddities of a lockout-shortened season.
On Wednesday, the American Hockey League announced its 2012-13 All-Rookie Team — headlined by Edmonton’s Justin Schultz, who currently leads all NHL rookie defensemen in scoring and is a virtual lock for the All-Rookie team.
Here’s more, from the official Edmonton press release:
The Kelowna, British Columbia native recorded 48 points (18G, 30A) in 34 games with the Barons, including a franchise record tying 10 game point streak and a separate nine game point scoring streak.
Although he hasn’t played in the AHL since January 5th, Schultz still leads all AHL defencemen in points and was recently surpassed as the top rookie scorer.
He earned CCM / AHL monthly award honors for Player of the Month for October and Rookie of the Month for November.
In the interest of context, we should mention that Schultz isn’t the only All-Rookie team member to have played in the NHL this season.
Kings forward Tyler Toffoli, Boston forward Ryan Spooner and Ducks defenseman Sami Vatanen all made their NHL debuts, while Minnesota forward Jason Zucker made his NHL debut before playing in the American League, having appeared in six contests for the Wild during the 2011-12 campaign.
Of course, those four have combined to play 29 NHL games, 10 short of the 39 Schultz has played this year for Edmonton.
There isn’t a ton of historical data floating around, but I’ve cross-referenced this and this and yes, Schultz appears primed to make some kind of history if he cracks both the AHL and NHL All-Rookie teams in the same season.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 17
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 61
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 60
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)