Apr 10, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
Ah, the oddities of a lockout-shortened season.
On Wednesday, the American Hockey League announced its 2012-13 All-Rookie Team — headlined by Edmonton’s Justin Schultz, who currently leads all NHL rookie defensemen in scoring and is a virtual lock for the All-Rookie team.
Here’s more, from the official Edmonton press release:
The Kelowna, British Columbia native recorded 48 points (18G, 30A) in 34 games with the Barons, including a franchise record tying 10 game point streak and a separate nine game point scoring streak.
Although he hasn’t played in the AHL since January 5th, Schultz still leads all AHL defencemen in points and was recently surpassed as the top rookie scorer.
He earned CCM / AHL monthly award honors for Player of the Month for October and Rookie of the Month for November.
In the interest of context, we should mention that Schultz isn’t the only All-Rookie team member to have played in the NHL this season.
Kings forward Tyler Toffoli, Boston forward Ryan Spooner and Ducks defenseman Sami Vatanen all made their NHL debuts, while Minnesota forward Jason Zucker made his NHL debut before playing in the American League, having appeared in six contests for the Wild during the 2011-12 campaign.
Of course, those four have combined to play 29 NHL games, 10 short of the 39 Schultz has played this year for Edmonton.
There isn’t a ton of historical data floating around, but I’ve cross-referenced this and this and yes, Schultz appears primed to make some kind of history if he cracks both the AHL and NHL All-Rookie teams in the same season.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)