Apr 10, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
Ah, the oddities of a lockout-shortened season.
On Wednesday, the American Hockey League announced its 2012-13 All-Rookie Team — headlined by Edmonton’s Justin Schultz, who currently leads all NHL rookie defensemen in scoring and is a virtual lock for the All-Rookie team.
Here’s more, from the official Edmonton press release:
The Kelowna, British Columbia native recorded 48 points (18G, 30A) in 34 games with the Barons, including a franchise record tying 10 game point streak and a separate nine game point scoring streak.
Although he hasn’t played in the AHL since January 5th, Schultz still leads all AHL defencemen in points and was recently surpassed as the top rookie scorer.
He earned CCM / AHL monthly award honors for Player of the Month for October and Rookie of the Month for November.
In the interest of context, we should mention that Schultz isn’t the only All-Rookie team member to have played in the NHL this season.
Kings forward Tyler Toffoli, Boston forward Ryan Spooner and Ducks defenseman Sami Vatanen all made their NHL debuts, while Minnesota forward Jason Zucker made his NHL debut before playing in the American League, having appeared in six contests for the Wild during the 2011-12 campaign.
Of course, those four have combined to play 29 NHL games, 10 short of the 39 Schultz has played this year for Edmonton.
There isn’t a ton of historical data floating around, but I’ve cross-referenced this and this and yes, Schultz appears primed to make some kind of history if he cracks both the AHL and NHL All-Rookie teams in the same season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)