Apr 10, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
Ah, the oddities of a lockout-shortened season.
On Wednesday, the American Hockey League announced its 2012-13 All-Rookie Team — headlined by Edmonton’s Justin Schultz, who currently leads all NHL rookie defensemen in scoring and is a virtual lock for the All-Rookie team.
Here’s more, from the official Edmonton press release:
The Kelowna, British Columbia native recorded 48 points (18G, 30A) in 34 games with the Barons, including a franchise record tying 10 game point streak and a separate nine game point scoring streak.
Although he hasn’t played in the AHL since January 5th, Schultz still leads all AHL defencemen in points and was recently surpassed as the top rookie scorer.
He earned CCM / AHL monthly award honors for Player of the Month for October and Rookie of the Month for November.
In the interest of context, we should mention that Schultz isn’t the only All-Rookie team member to have played in the NHL this season.
Kings forward Tyler Toffoli, Boston forward Ryan Spooner and Ducks defenseman Sami Vatanen all made their NHL debuts, while Minnesota forward Jason Zucker made his NHL debut before playing in the American League, having appeared in six contests for the Wild during the 2011-12 campaign.
Of course, those four have combined to play 29 NHL games, 10 short of the 39 Schultz has played this year for Edmonton.
There isn’t a ton of historical data floating around, but I’ve cross-referenced this and this and yes, Schultz appears primed to make some kind of history if he cracks both the AHL and NHL All-Rookie teams in the same season.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32