Apr 10, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
If save percentage is the deciding factor, then it’s Ottawa’s Craig Anderson (.946) in a cakewalk. But Anderson has been hurt for much of the season, so it can’t really be him.
Sergei Bobrovsky has been a savior for Columbus — maybe he should get the nod. Except there’s just something about the NHL’s best goalie failing to get his team to the playoffs that doesn’t sit right. Guess that goes for Pekka Rinne in Nashville, too.
Henrik Lundqvist won last year, and he could win again last year. But not a single shutout? You’d like the Vezina winner to have at least one of those, wouldn’t you?
OK, so what about Antti Niemi in San Jose? He’s been outstanding and the Sharks are a playoff team…but is the 10th-best save percentage (.922) good enough? That’s more in the “very good” category; not so much “great.”
Tuukka Rask has done a fantastic job replacing Tim Thomas as the number one in Boston. He plays behind such a great defense though, and Anton Khudobin has earned 11 starts of his own. In fact, Rask has only been forced to make 700 saves this season, the 17th most in the NHL.
Marc-Andre Fleury has the best record (20-6-0); however, that save percentage (.917) ranks him behind a lot of his counterparts. Ditto for Carey Price (.915) in Montreal and Niklas Backstrom (.915) in Minny.
Jimmy Howard? Not in the top five of any statistical category. Sorry Detroit fans, but he’s not winning.
Cory Schneider is making a late charge in Vancouver. You just wonder if he’ll have played enough by the end of the season. At the moment, he’s 20th in minutes.
Are we forgetting anyone?
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 13
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 48
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)