Apr 10, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
If save percentage is the deciding factor, then it’s Ottawa’s Craig Anderson (.946) in a cakewalk. But Anderson has been hurt for much of the season, so it can’t really be him.
Sergei Bobrovsky has been a savior for Columbus — maybe he should get the nod. Except there’s just something about the NHL’s best goalie failing to get his team to the playoffs that doesn’t sit right. Guess that goes for Pekka Rinne in Nashville, too.
Henrik Lundqvist won last year, and he could win again last year. But not a single shutout? You’d like the Vezina winner to have at least one of those, wouldn’t you?
OK, so what about Antti Niemi in San Jose? He’s been outstanding and the Sharks are a playoff team…but is the 10th-best save percentage (.922) good enough? That’s more in the “very good” category; not so much “great.”
Tuukka Rask has done a fantastic job replacing Tim Thomas as the number one in Boston. He plays behind such a great defense though, and Anton Khudobin has earned 11 starts of his own. In fact, Rask has only been forced to make 700 saves this season, the 17th most in the NHL.
Marc-Andre Fleury has the best record (20-6-0); however, that save percentage (.917) ranks him behind a lot of his counterparts. Ditto for Carey Price (.915) in Montreal and Niklas Backstrom (.915) in Minny.
Jimmy Howard? Not in the top five of any statistical category. Sorry Detroit fans, but he’s not winning.
Cory Schneider is making a late charge in Vancouver. You just wonder if he’ll have played enough by the end of the season. At the moment, he’s 20th in minutes.
Are we forgetting anyone?
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)