Apr 10, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
If save percentage is the deciding factor, then it’s Ottawa’s Craig Anderson (.946) in a cakewalk. But Anderson has been hurt for much of the season, so it can’t really be him.
Sergei Bobrovsky has been a savior for Columbus — maybe he should get the nod. Except there’s just something about the NHL’s best goalie failing to get his team to the playoffs that doesn’t sit right. Guess that goes for Pekka Rinne in Nashville, too.
Henrik Lundqvist won last year, and he could win again last year. But not a single shutout? You’d like the Vezina winner to have at least one of those, wouldn’t you?
OK, so what about Antti Niemi in San Jose? He’s been outstanding and the Sharks are a playoff team…but is the 10th-best save percentage (.922) good enough? That’s more in the “very good” category; not so much “great.”
Tuukka Rask has done a fantastic job replacing Tim Thomas as the number one in Boston. He plays behind such a great defense though, and Anton Khudobin has earned 11 starts of his own. In fact, Rask has only been forced to make 700 saves this season, the 17th most in the NHL.
Marc-Andre Fleury has the best record (20-6-0); however, that save percentage (.917) ranks him behind a lot of his counterparts. Ditto for Carey Price (.915) in Montreal and Niklas Backstrom (.915) in Minny.
Jimmy Howard? Not in the top five of any statistical category. Sorry Detroit fans, but he’s not winning.
Cory Schneider is making a late charge in Vancouver. You just wonder if he’ll have played enough by the end of the season. At the moment, he’s 20th in minutes.
Are we forgetting anyone?
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 17
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 55
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)