Apr 10, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
If save percentage is the deciding factor, then it’s Ottawa’s Craig Anderson (.946) in a cakewalk. But Anderson has been hurt for much of the season, so it can’t really be him.
Sergei Bobrovsky has been a savior for Columbus — maybe he should get the nod. Except there’s just something about the NHL’s best goalie failing to get his team to the playoffs that doesn’t sit right. Guess that goes for Pekka Rinne in Nashville, too.
Henrik Lundqvist won last year, and he could win again last year. But not a single shutout? You’d like the Vezina winner to have at least one of those, wouldn’t you?
OK, so what about Antti Niemi in San Jose? He’s been outstanding and the Sharks are a playoff team…but is the 10th-best save percentage (.922) good enough? That’s more in the “very good” category; not so much “great.”
Tuukka Rask has done a fantastic job replacing Tim Thomas as the number one in Boston. He plays behind such a great defense though, and Anton Khudobin has earned 11 starts of his own. In fact, Rask has only been forced to make 700 saves this season, the 17th most in the NHL.
Marc-Andre Fleury has the best record (20-6-0); however, that save percentage (.917) ranks him behind a lot of his counterparts. Ditto for Carey Price (.915) in Montreal and Niklas Backstrom (.915) in Minny.
Jimmy Howard? Not in the top five of any statistical category. Sorry Detroit fans, but he’s not winning.
Cory Schneider is making a late charge in Vancouver. You just wonder if he’ll have played enough by the end of the season. At the moment, he’s 20th in minutes.
Are we forgetting anyone?
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)