Apr 10, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
If save percentage is the deciding factor, then it’s Ottawa’s Craig Anderson (.946) in a cakewalk. But Anderson has been hurt for much of the season, so it can’t really be him.
Sergei Bobrovsky has been a savior for Columbus — maybe he should get the nod. Except there’s just something about the NHL’s best goalie failing to get his team to the playoffs that doesn’t sit right. Guess that goes for Pekka Rinne in Nashville, too.
Henrik Lundqvist won last year, and he could win again last year. But not a single shutout? You’d like the Vezina winner to have at least one of those, wouldn’t you?
OK, so what about Antti Niemi in San Jose? He’s been outstanding and the Sharks are a playoff team…but is the 10th-best save percentage (.922) good enough? That’s more in the “very good” category; not so much “great.”
Tuukka Rask has done a fantastic job replacing Tim Thomas as the number one in Boston. He plays behind such a great defense though, and Anton Khudobin has earned 11 starts of his own. In fact, Rask has only been forced to make 700 saves this season, the 17th most in the NHL.
Marc-Andre Fleury has the best record (20-6-0); however, that save percentage (.917) ranks him behind a lot of his counterparts. Ditto for Carey Price (.915) in Montreal and Niklas Backstrom (.915) in Minny.
Jimmy Howard? Not in the top five of any statistical category. Sorry Detroit fans, but he’s not winning.
Cory Schneider is making a late charge in Vancouver. You just wonder if he’ll have played enough by the end of the season. At the moment, he’s 20th in minutes.
Are we forgetting anyone?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)