Apr 10, 2013, 5:57 PM EST
“Makeshift” is probably the best way to describe Calgary’s forward group right now.
Already without the services of of Jarome Iginla (traded), Blake Comeau (traded), Paul Byron (wrist) and Brian McGrattan (shoulder), the Flames announced on Wednesday that Jiri Hudler (upper body) and Matt Stajan (ditto) would be out of the lineup tonight when they take on the Canucks.
As for what that leaves? A lot to be desired at center, mostly.
“I’m obviously excited to be back,” Jones said. “I got a chance to go and play a lot in [Abbotsford] but I’m just excited to be back and hopefully finish out the year here.”
Calgary’s currently jockeying for best odds for the No. 1 pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, sporting a 14-20-4 record heading into tonight’s action.
Only Florida (13-20-6) and Colorado (12-22-5) are worse, though the Flames put distance between themselves and the Avs on Monday with a 3-1 win at the Pepsi Center.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 53
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)