Apr 10, 2013, 12:56 AM EST
Members of the New York Islanders will wake up Wednesday morning in seventh place in the Eastern Conference standings.
The Islanders’ 44 points ties them with the sixth-place Ottawa Senators, who have lost five games in a row, however the Senators hold the tiebreaker with fewer games played to date.
The Islanders, now two points ahead of the New York Rangers, haven’t made the playoffs since the 2006-07 season, but they got one step closer to changing that with a 4-1 win over the fading Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday.
“We played like we wanted it more – I think that’s why we got the two points,” Islanders goalie Evgeni Nabokov told NHL.com.
“Everything is positive right now, but you can’t get carried away because you know that it’s such a fight for the playoffs with eight games left. You can find yourself very quickly the other way. You just want to keep the focus and intensity at the same level, win or lose.”
It’s been nothing more than a simple change in philosophy from the Islanders. They are no longer a running joke in the NHL. They’ve gone 7-2-1 in their last 10 games and in the thick of a playoff race.
We’re not playing to lose, we’re playing to win,” Islanders forward Kyle Okposo told Newsday Long Island.
“That’s a big change around here. We’ve got a ton of confidence right now.”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)