Apr 10, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers had Tuesday’s game in Anaheim marked as a must-win.
And they proceeded to lose, 2-1.
That resulted in a lot of glum faces in the Edmonton dressing room, as players recognized their playoff hopes took a major blow.
None seemed to recognize it more than Taylor Hall.
“This was a huge game for our team. It’s really going to be hard from here on in,” Hall told the Edmonton Journal. “Three games ago, we were right there. Now, we’re a ways back. We’re just going to have to stay motivated.”
“You never know what can happen, but this was one we had to win.”
On Apr. 3, the Oilers beat the Flames 8-2 to move into sole possession of eighth in the West. Spirits were high. But three consecutive defeats have sent them crashing back down to earth.
With Tuesday’s loss, Edmonton now sits 12th in the Western Conference with 39 points, four points back of eighth-place Detroit with Dallas (41 points), Columbus (41) and Phoenix (40) still ahead in the standings.
If there is a silver lining for the Oilers, it’s their remaining schedule.
They’ll play seven of their last nine at the friendly confines of Rexall Place — where they’re 8-5-4 — and have a huge stretch coming up where they’ll face three non-playoff entities in the Coyotes, Flames and Avalanche.
Of course, they’ll also play their final five games of the season against top-six teams in the West: Anaheim (x2), Chicago, Minnesota and Vancouver.
Captain Shawn Horcoff says the team will turn it around for these final nine games.
“We’ll regroup and finish it out. We’re going to finish hard,” he told the Journal. “We’re not mathematically eliminated, so you never know.
“We’re not in a situation where we can just mail it in.”
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)