Apr 10, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets — currently sitting 10th in the Western Conference, with 41 points — have a tall task ahead in trying to make the playoffs.
They’ll likely need to win six of their remaining eight games, six of which are on the road, where the Jackets are a lowly 5-11-2 this season.
Of course, the newest Jacket is looking at things more optimistically.
“We have eight games left,” Marian Gaborik told the Canadian Press. “We’re going to keep fighting ’till the end.
“We want to leave everything out there every game. Hopefully we can make it interesting to the end and fight for the playoffs.”
The Blue Jackets, who whipped the Sharks 4-0 last night, have a few days to sit and ponder their future.
They won’t play again until hosting St. Louis at Nationwide on Friday, and will then set on out the make-or-break portion of their season — a six-game road swing through Minnesota, Colorado, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose and Dallas.
All told, Columbus will play six road dates in 12 nights, including a tough Ducks-Kings back-to-back on Apr. 17/18.
According to Sports Club Stats, the Jackets currently hold a slim 7.6 percent chance of making the playoffs. It’s the reality after getting off to an NHL-worst 5-12-2 start, only to gain remarkable ground with a home stretch in March where they played nine of 10 in Columbus (going 8-0-2).
Now, Columbus needs to win tough games at the toughest time of the year.
But even if it doesn’t work out, director of hockey ops John Davidson says the experience has been invaluable.
“If we had kept going and gotten into a situation where there was no pressure on our team for the last six weeks of the season, that’s lost time,” he said. “Wherever this goes we’re going to — for sure — have gotten something out of it, and that’s just the fact that it’s a very good culture.
“It’s a very good locker room and it’s a team that’s developed because of playing pressure games down the stretch.”
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)