Apr 10, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets — currently sitting 10th in the Western Conference, with 41 points — have a tall task ahead in trying to make the playoffs.
They’ll likely need to win six of their remaining eight games, six of which are on the road, where the Jackets are a lowly 5-11-2 this season.
Of course, the newest Jacket is looking at things more optimistically.
“We have eight games left,” Marian Gaborik told the Canadian Press. “We’re going to keep fighting ’till the end.
“We want to leave everything out there every game. Hopefully we can make it interesting to the end and fight for the playoffs.”
The Blue Jackets, who whipped the Sharks 4-0 last night, have a few days to sit and ponder their future.
They won’t play again until hosting St. Louis at Nationwide on Friday, and will then set on out the make-or-break portion of their season — a six-game road swing through Minnesota, Colorado, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose and Dallas.
All told, Columbus will play six road dates in 12 nights, including a tough Ducks-Kings back-to-back on Apr. 17/18.
According to Sports Club Stats, the Jackets currently hold a slim 7.6 percent chance of making the playoffs. It’s the reality after getting off to an NHL-worst 5-12-2 start, only to gain remarkable ground with a home stretch in March where they played nine of 10 in Columbus (going 8-0-2).
Now, Columbus needs to win tough games at the toughest time of the year.
But even if it doesn’t work out, director of hockey ops John Davidson says the experience has been invaluable.
“If we had kept going and gotten into a situation where there was no pressure on our team for the last six weeks of the season, that’s lost time,” he said. “Wherever this goes we’re going to — for sure — have gotten something out of it, and that’s just the fact that it’s a very good culture.
“It’s a very good locker room and it’s a team that’s developed because of playing pressure games down the stretch.”
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers countered with a two-year deal at $2.05M per.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Avoiding arbitration in the process.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Yeah, this one’s going to arbitration.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
“We are looking forward to having Vladimir in a Blues uniform when he returns to the NHL,” said GM Doug Armstrong.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 0
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 6
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)