Apr 10, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
After reportedly saying he’d be back for another year in Russia, Paul Maurice has changed his mind.
That’s the story out of Magnitogorsk today as KHL club Mettalurg said Maurice won’t be behind the bench next season, according to Russian news outlet R-Sport.
Maurice, 46, was fired by Carolina early in the 2011-12 season by after getting off to an 8-13-4 start. He was named Metallurg’s head coach in June 2012, and led the team to a seventh-place finish this season (27-13-12, 93 points) before losing in the Gagarin Cup quarterfinals.
A source told R-Sport that Maurice had initially agreed to re-sign with Metallurg for 2013-14 but has since changed his mind, partly due to “family circumstances.”
There’s also the implication that Maurice may be eying a return to the NHL.
R-Sport reports that when he initially expressed interest in returning to Russia, Maurice said he would return to North America if he received offers.
Maurice has coached over 1,000 NHL contests with the Toronto and Carolina/Hartford organizations, posting a .501 winning percentage while qualifying for the playoffs four times.
He took the ‘Canes to the Stanley Cup finals in 2001-02 and to the Eastern Conference finals in 2008-09.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)