Apr 10, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils managed to get back into a game that started off 4-0 on Wednesday, eventually losing to the Boston Bruins 5-4. Moral victories aside, the team’s on an eight-game losing streak, prompting head coach Peter DeBoer to demand more fight from the team, as he told The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
“You know the spot you’re in and you have two choices – you roll over and die or you get up tomorrow and you find a way to turn one win into six or seven or whatever it’s going to take,” DeBoer said.
Glad you (kind of) asked, coach.
Sports Club Stats’ numbers indicate that the Devils would have to put the following type of run together to have better than a coin flip’s chance of making the 2013 playoffs:*
6-2-0 finish: 56.5 percent chance.
5-0-3 finish: 75.1 percent chance
6-1-1 finish: 80.3 percent chance
To save you a click or three, here’s the team’s remaining schedule:
Friday: home vs. Ottawa
April 15: at Toronto
April 18: at Philadelphia
April 20: home vs. Florida
April 21: at New York Rangers
April 23: home vs. Montreal
April 25: home vs. Pittsburgh
April 27: home vs. New York Rangers
Surely the Rangers wouldn’t want to spoil the Devils’ playoff bid if it came down to it, would they?
* – Then again, some Devils fans might be crossing their fingers for them to lose as many games as possible considering how much the team seems to depend upon Ilya Kovalchuk.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Unproven goalie vs. a gold-medal goalie in Game 1.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A battle between a scrappy underdog and a perplexing favorite.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
A little less grit against the Anaheim Ducks.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Not Brandon Pirri.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
“He gives us the best chance to win, so he’ll be the one starting.”
Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
But both acknowledge they’ve heard the rumblings.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
22-26-7 with a .901 save percentage.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Sacco, Forton, Numminen and Corsi are out.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Top seeds don’t have it easy in the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Spent one season with the Oilers, now off to SKA St. Petersburg.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Steve Mason is “out.”
Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Short answer: Plenty.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
So, what happens now with Evander Kane?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Click inside to see…
Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 53
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 34
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)