Apr 10, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
If you’re a Colorado Avalanche fan, the end of this dismal 2013 season can’t come quick enough.
The Avalanche are dead last in the league by three points. Hopes of making a playoff run are completely gone and have been for some time, and frustration within the dressing room is starting to boil over.
Then, late Tuesday evening, a strongly worded piece from Denver Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla was published online, essentially calling for not only head coach Joe Sacco to lose his job, but that a front office clean-up should also take place. Here’s an excerpt from his column (which can be read in its entirety here).
Yes, for starters, Sacco needs to worry about saving his job.
It should already be too late. With the Avs doomed to miss the playoffs for the third consecutive season in his four-year stint as coach, Sacco’s dismissal should be expected.
Of course, not everything wrong with the Avalanche is the fault of Sacco. A hose should be turned on to clean out the front office.
But when a team loses interest, it is an ugly condemnation of both the players and the coach hired to motivate them.
Perhaps it’s a good thing the Avalanche have only nine games remaining in the season.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)