Apr 10, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
If you’re a Colorado Avalanche fan, the end of this dismal 2013 season can’t come quick enough.
The Avalanche are dead last in the league by three points. Hopes of making a playoff run are completely gone and have been for some time, and frustration within the dressing room is starting to boil over.
Then, late Tuesday evening, a strongly worded piece from Denver Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla was published online, essentially calling for not only head coach Joe Sacco to lose his job, but that a front office clean-up should also take place. Here’s an excerpt from his column (which can be read in its entirety here).
Yes, for starters, Sacco needs to worry about saving his job.
It should already be too late. With the Avs doomed to miss the playoffs for the third consecutive season in his four-year stint as coach, Sacco’s dismissal should be expected.
Of course, not everything wrong with the Avalanche is the fault of Sacco. A hose should be turned on to clean out the front office.
But when a team loses interest, it is an ugly condemnation of both the players and the coach hired to motivate them.
Perhaps it’s a good thing the Avalanche have only nine games remaining in the season.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)