Apr 10, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov doesn’t sound overly concerned about his future in Philadelphia.
On Tuesday, the Flyers goalie was asked about the possibility of the club using an amnesty buyout on his nine-year, $51 million deal — of which he’s played two seasons and earned $16.5 million in salary.
Here’s what Bryz had to say about a potential buyout, courtesy the South Jersey Courier Post:
“To be honest, I don’t care,” he said. “Really, I don’t care. I have no control on this, so why should I care?”
Bryzgalov was asked if he’d like to be a Flyer next season.
“You know, I have no control in this,” he said. “I can’t read the people’s mind. I can’t project things what they’re thinking, that’s why I’m not worried about things I can’t control.
“I maybe want one thing and they want a different thing.”
Clubs have been granted two compliance buyouts over the course of the next two seasons (though they must occur within a certain offseason window), and Bryzgalov is certainly a candidate.
The Flyers have $66 million committed to 20 players already for next season, and need to get to the $64.3 million cap ceiling.
That said, the decision to buy out Bryzgalov won’t be taken lightly by GM Paul Holmgren or owner Ed Snider. According to CapGeek, buying Bryzgalov out would cost $23 million spread over 14 years — that’s a pretty price to pay someone to not play for your team.
Finally, and on a related note, we should mention that a rumor’s making the rounds claiming Bryzgalov fell asleep during a team meeting on Monday.
This may have played a part in Steve Mason getting the starting nod for Philly’s all-important game against the Isles (which they lost, 4-1), though CSN Philadelphia’s CSN Sarah Baicker reports most expected Mason to get the start regardless of Bryzgalov’s (alleged) napping habits.
Update: Here’s Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer about the Bryzgalov sleeping rumor…
Kimmo says report from #Flyers‘ flagship radio station that Bryz was benched for sleeping at a meeting are totally false.
— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) April 10, 2013
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)