Apr 10, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Some good news for the Bruins on Wednesday, courtesy general manager Peter Chiarelli — concussed center Patrice Bergeron has resumed workouts and is rehabbing his injury.
“I’ve met with Patrice. He’s been working out,” Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub (by way of CSNNE.com). “He’s on his road to recovery, so it looks good.”
Bergeron, 27, was injured last week after absorbing a Colin Greening hit during a 3-2 win over Ottawa.
He’s since missed three games (against the Devils, Habs and ‘Canes) and won’t be available this evening when the Bruins travel to New Jersey to take on the Devils (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
The concern level for Bergeron within the Bruins organization is high, given his concussion history.
The reigning Selke winner missed nearly the entire 2007-08 season after suffering a concussion on a hit from then-Flyers defenseman Randy Jones.
Bergeron also suffered a concussion during the 2011 Eastern Conference semifinals, which forced him to miss a pair of playoff games — though, as pointed out by CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty, Bergeron only missed 12 days all told with the ailment.
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 0
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)