Apr 10, 2013, 12:26 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning will be without defenseman Victor Hedman on Thursday against Pittsburgh — and the club isn’t sure when he’ll be back.
Hedman, 22, hasn’t been on the ice since suffering an undisclosed lower-body injury during last Thursday’s 5-0 shellacking of Carolina, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Lightning head coach John Cooper has already ruled him out for Thursday’s game, and it doesn’t appear a timetable has been set for Hedman’s return.
The Swedish rearguard has been one of the consistent bright spots for the Lightning this year, remaining mostly healthy and playing well in a season where injuries and spotty play have derailed the Bolts.
He sits second among all defensemen in points (16) and time on ice per game (22.22), and is third on the team with a plus-eight rating.
More importantly, he’d been healthy prior to this latest injury setback.
Those injuries played a big part in the Bolts getting off to a 13-18-1 start under Guy Boucher, who was fired in late March.
The team has since played well under new bench boss Cooper — posting a 4-2-1 record — and still finds itself mathematically alive in the Eastern Conference playoff chase.
Tampa Bay has nine games left in the season and is six points back of the eighth-place Rangers, but does have a tough road ahead. The Lightning play four of their next five on the road, and have a woeful 6-13-0 road record this season.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 6
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46