Apr 10, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning will be without defenseman Victor Hedman on Thursday against Pittsburgh — and the club isn’t sure when he’ll be back.
Hedman, 22, hasn’t been on the ice since suffering an undisclosed lower-body injury during last Thursday’s 5-0 shellacking of Carolina, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Lightning head coach John Cooper has already ruled him out for Thursday’s game, and it doesn’t appear a timetable has been set for Hedman’s return.
The Swedish rearguard has been one of the consistent bright spots for the Lightning this year, remaining mostly healthy and playing well in a season where injuries and spotty play have derailed the Bolts.
He sits second among all defensemen in points (16) and time on ice per game (22.22), and is third on the team with a plus-eight rating.
More importantly, he’d been healthy prior to this latest injury setback.
Those injuries played a big part in the Bolts getting off to a 13-18-1 start under Guy Boucher, who was fired in late March.
The team has since played well under new bench boss Cooper — posting a 4-2-1 record — and still finds itself mathematically alive in the Eastern Conference playoff chase.
Tampa Bay has nine games left in the season and is six points back of the eighth-place Rangers, but does have a tough road ahead. The Lightning play four of their next five on the road, and have a woeful 6-13-0 road record this season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)