Apr 10, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
You’ll excuse Ottawa Senators fans for getting a little nervous.
The Sens lost their fifth straight last night in Tampa Bay. With nine games left in the regular season, all of a sudden the playoffs aren’t such a sure thing anymore.
With that in mind, when, uh, might defenseman Erik Karlsson be back? Because the Sens could probably use him right about now.
Last year’s Norris Trophy winner has — miraculously, some say — been skating by himself in Ottawa, and there’s reason to believe he could return from a lacerated Achilles tendon sooner than expected.
But let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves, warns Karlsson’s agent, Craig Oster in an email to the Ottawa Citizen.
“Erik is continuing to progress,” Oster wrote Wednesday morning.
“He and the organization are going to ensure that he is fully healthy and at minimal risk of complications before he considers a return to play.
“The healing process seems to be going well. No definitive timelines.”
The Sens play Thursday in Philadelphia and Friday in New Jersey before finishing their seven-game road trip Monday in Boston.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)