Apr 9, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Sounds as though the Detroit Red Wings and Darren Helm are ready to wave a white towel on his frustrating campaign.
That’s what head coach Mike Babcock suggested on Tuesday, saying he doesn’t expect the speedy forward to suit up again this season.
“He’s not going to play hockey, right, this year, I don’t think,” Babcock told MLive.com. “We got to get ourselves in the playoffs and be ready to go without him.”
Helm has only played one game this season — a Jan. 25 win over Minnesota — due to chronic issues and setbacks with a back injury.
The 26-year-old has undergone a battery of tests and visited several specialists, but hasn’t received a diagnosis beyond “a slight tear in a disc and inflammation,” according to MLive.
Helm’s latest setback occurred on Mar. 18, while practicing with the club.
The loss is a profound one for Detroit, as Babcock often refers to Helm as the “best third-line center in the NHL.”
Helm is the Wings’ fastest forward and, despite is relative young age, one of the club’s most vested playoff performers. He has 65 games of postseason experience to his credit — including a Stanley Cup in 2008 — and scored a career-high six points in 11 games during the 2010-11 run.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 0
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)