Apr 9, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Sounds as though the Detroit Red Wings and Darren Helm are ready to wave a white towel on his frustrating campaign.
That’s what head coach Mike Babcock suggested on Tuesday, saying he doesn’t expect the speedy forward to suit up again this season.
“He’s not going to play hockey, right, this year, I don’t think,” Babcock told MLive.com. “We got to get ourselves in the playoffs and be ready to go without him.”
Helm has only played one game this season — a Jan. 25 win over Minnesota — due to chronic issues and setbacks with a back injury.
The 26-year-old has undergone a battery of tests and visited several specialists, but hasn’t received a diagnosis beyond “a slight tear in a disc and inflammation,” according to MLive.
Helm’s latest setback occurred on Mar. 18, while practicing with the club.
The loss is a profound one for Detroit, as Babcock often refers to Helm as the “best third-line center in the NHL.”
Helm is the Wings’ fastest forward and, despite is relative young age, one of the club’s most vested playoff performers. He has 65 games of postseason experience to his credit — including a Stanley Cup in 2008 — and scored a career-high six points in 11 games during the 2010-11 run.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)