Apr 9, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
Sounds as though the Detroit Red Wings and Darren Helm are ready to wave a white towel on his frustrating campaign.
That’s what head coach Mike Babcock suggested on Tuesday, saying he doesn’t expect the speedy forward to suit up again this season.
“He’s not going to play hockey, right, this year, I don’t think,” Babcock told MLive.com. “We got to get ourselves in the playoffs and be ready to go without him.”
Helm has only played one game this season — a Jan. 25 win over Minnesota — due to chronic issues and setbacks with a back injury.
The 26-year-old has undergone a battery of tests and visited several specialists, but hasn’t received a diagnosis beyond “a slight tear in a disc and inflammation,” according to MLive.
Helm’s latest setback occurred on Mar. 18, while practicing with the club.
The loss is a profound one for Detroit, as Babcock often refers to Helm as the “best third-line center in the NHL.”
Helm is the Wings’ fastest forward and, despite is relative young age, one of the club’s most vested playoff performers. He has 65 games of postseason experience to his credit — including a Stanley Cup in 2008 — and scored a career-high six points in 11 games during the 2010-11 run.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)