Apr 9, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Steve Ott had some harsh words for Buffalo Sabres fans today.
Which is notable, because Ott plays for the Sabres.
In an interview with WGR Radio, the 30-year-old forward expressed his disappointment with the boos the team has heard this season at the First Niagara Center.
“I think it’s completely ridiculous, to be honest with you,” Ott said, per the Buffalo News. “We go into other buildings, we’ve won a lot of games and teams should have the same amount of frustration, sold-out buildings and it’s funny becaue they’re continuing to cheer on their team. They stand behind their team. They respect the work ethic and everything else.
“It’s disheartening when we did get hemmed in our zone and they’re basically mocking us when you get up past the blueline and you finally get it in their zone after I guess you could say that minute and a half shift when they didn’t have a scoring opportunity. I guess you can say it was more the mocking of my teammates and everything else that probably pissed a lot of guys off, including myself.
“You’re a fan of the Buffalo Sabres and hopefully you come to cheer us on and motivate us to be good. We’ve got a lot of young players on this team and they definitely don’t deserve to be booed. They deserve to have that excitement and energy. It’s definitely not their fault for the last six years of frustration that’s gone on.”
While Ott’s frustration is understandable, the Sabres are hardly the only team that’s ever been booed by its fans. And it’s often the teams with the most passionate fans that hear it the loudest. When expectations are high, that’s what happens when expectations aren’t met.
Shortly after his interview, Ott took to Twitter with a more positive message for the fans:
The Sabres — winners of three straight games — play the Jets tonight in Winnipeg.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
He may begin 2014-15 banged up.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
The early word is that he’s OK, though.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Worth a try.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
According to fellow Swede and Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
One last chance for a tune-up.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Sounds like both will start the season at center.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Off to AHL Lake Erie they go.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”
Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He won’t be ready for the season opener.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)