Apr 9, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Steve Ott had some harsh words for Buffalo Sabres fans today.
Which is notable, because Ott plays for the Sabres.
In an interview with WGR Radio, the 30-year-old forward expressed his disappointment with the boos the team has heard this season at the First Niagara Center.
“I think it’s completely ridiculous, to be honest with you,” Ott said, per the Buffalo News. “We go into other buildings, we’ve won a lot of games and teams should have the same amount of frustration, sold-out buildings and it’s funny becaue they’re continuing to cheer on their team. They stand behind their team. They respect the work ethic and everything else.
“It’s disheartening when we did get hemmed in our zone and they’re basically mocking us when you get up past the blueline and you finally get it in their zone after I guess you could say that minute and a half shift when they didn’t have a scoring opportunity. I guess you can say it was more the mocking of my teammates and everything else that probably pissed a lot of guys off, including myself.
“You’re a fan of the Buffalo Sabres and hopefully you come to cheer us on and motivate us to be good. We’ve got a lot of young players on this team and they definitely don’t deserve to be booed. They deserve to have that excitement and energy. It’s definitely not their fault for the last six years of frustration that’s gone on.”
While Ott’s frustration is understandable, the Sabres are hardly the only team that’s ever been booed by its fans. And it’s often the teams with the most passionate fans that hear it the loudest. When expectations are high, that’s what happens when expectations aren’t met.
Shortly after his interview, Ott took to Twitter with a more positive message for the fans:
The Sabres — winners of three straight games — play the Jets tonight in Winnipeg.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)