Apr 9, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Steve Ott had some harsh words for Buffalo Sabres fans today.
Which is notable, because Ott plays for the Sabres.
In an interview with WGR Radio, the 30-year-old forward expressed his disappointment with the boos the team has heard this season at the First Niagara Center.
“I think it’s completely ridiculous, to be honest with you,” Ott said, per the Buffalo News. “We go into other buildings, we’ve won a lot of games and teams should have the same amount of frustration, sold-out buildings and it’s funny becaue they’re continuing to cheer on their team. They stand behind their team. They respect the work ethic and everything else.
“It’s disheartening when we did get hemmed in our zone and they’re basically mocking us when you get up past the blueline and you finally get it in their zone after I guess you could say that minute and a half shift when they didn’t have a scoring opportunity. I guess you can say it was more the mocking of my teammates and everything else that probably pissed a lot of guys off, including myself.
“You’re a fan of the Buffalo Sabres and hopefully you come to cheer us on and motivate us to be good. We’ve got a lot of young players on this team and they definitely don’t deserve to be booed. They deserve to have that excitement and energy. It’s definitely not their fault for the last six years of frustration that’s gone on.”
While Ott’s frustration is understandable, the Sabres are hardly the only team that’s ever been booed by its fans. And it’s often the teams with the most passionate fans that hear it the loudest. When expectations are high, that’s what happens when expectations aren’t met.
Shortly after his interview, Ott took to Twitter with a more positive message for the fans:
The Sabres — winners of three straight games — play the Jets tonight in Winnipeg.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)