Apr 9, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will be shooting on a familiar face tonight in Tampa Bay when they take on their ex-goalie, Ben Bishop, and the Lightning.
More importantly, the Sens will be trying to snap a four-game losing streak at a crucial time in the season.
Bishop was traded (for forward Cory Conacher) at the deadline; however, the tall 26-year-old isn’t making a big deal of playing his former team.
“I think once the puck drops it just goes back to a normal game and I won’t think too much about it,” said Bishop, per NHL.com. “This is the first time I’ve played against my ex-team, so it’s a first for me, but I think that when the puck drops, all those distractions go away.”
Ottawa has just five goals in its last four games, though it certainly hasn’t been for a lack of shooting. The Sens registered 156 shots in those four games, an average of 39 per game.
Despite the losing streak, Ottawa is still fairly comfortably in a playoff position. The Sens are four points up on ninth-place New Jersey, plus they have a game in hand on the Devils.
Another loss tonight, though, and things could get decidedly less comfortable. Ottawa has three games left on its seven-game road trip, including a game Friday in New Jersey.
Craig Anderson will start for the Sens tonight.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)