Apr 9, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
Wild forward Dany Heatley is expected to miss the remainder of the regular season and playoffs with a shoulder injury, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Heatley, 32, underwent shoulder surgery today after getting hurt during an altercation with San Jose defenseman Marc-Eduouard Vlasic last week.
It was originally though the injury would only sideline Heatley for the rest of the regular season, allowing him to return for the postseason.
More, from Russo:
Heatley underwent surgery this morning at the Cleveland Clinic. [Wild GM Chuck] Fletcher said the hope was that he would miss four or five weeks, but Dr. Tony Miniaci has informed the team that Heatley will likely miss the rest of the season.
Prior to getting hurt, Heatley had appeared in 36 of Minnesota’s 37 games this year, scoring 21 points while sitting third on the team in goals (11). He also averaged 18:32 TOI per game.
The Wild went into Wednesday’s action sitting sixth in the Western Conference, four points back of Vancouver (50) for first place in the Northwest Division.
Here’s the official release from the Wild…
Minnesota Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher announced that forward Dany Heatley underwent successful surgery today on his left shoulder by Dr. Tony Miniaci at the Cleveland Clinic.
Heatley will miss the remainder of this season and is expected to be fully recovered for the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)