Apr 9, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
Wild forward Dany Heatley is expected to miss the remainder of the regular season and playoffs with a shoulder injury, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Heatley, 32, underwent shoulder surgery today after getting hurt during an altercation with San Jose defenseman Marc-Eduouard Vlasic last week.
It was originally though the injury would only sideline Heatley for the rest of the regular season, allowing him to return for the postseason.
More, from Russo:
Heatley underwent surgery this morning at the Cleveland Clinic. [Wild GM Chuck] Fletcher said the hope was that he would miss four or five weeks, but Dr. Tony Miniaci has informed the team that Heatley will likely miss the rest of the season.
Prior to getting hurt, Heatley had appeared in 36 of Minnesota’s 37 games this year, scoring 21 points while sitting third on the team in goals (11). He also averaged 18:32 TOI per game.
The Wild went into Wednesday’s action sitting sixth in the Western Conference, four points back of Vancouver (50) for first place in the Northwest Division.
Here’s the official release from the Wild…
Minnesota Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher announced that forward Dany Heatley underwent successful surgery today on his left shoulder by Dr. Tony Miniaci at the Cleveland Clinic.
Heatley will miss the remainder of this season and is expected to be fully recovered for the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)