Apr 9, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
Wild forward Dany Heatley is expected to miss the remainder of the regular season and playoffs with a shoulder injury, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Heatley, 32, underwent shoulder surgery today after getting hurt during an altercation with San Jose defenseman Marc-Eduouard Vlasic last week.
It was originally though the injury would only sideline Heatley for the rest of the regular season, allowing him to return for the postseason.
More, from Russo:
Heatley underwent surgery this morning at the Cleveland Clinic. [Wild GM Chuck] Fletcher said the hope was that he would miss four or five weeks, but Dr. Tony Miniaci has informed the team that Heatley will likely miss the rest of the season.
Prior to getting hurt, Heatley had appeared in 36 of Minnesota’s 37 games this year, scoring 21 points while sitting third on the team in goals (11). He also averaged 18:32 TOI per game.
The Wild went into Wednesday’s action sitting sixth in the Western Conference, four points back of Vancouver (50) for first place in the Northwest Division.
Here’s the official release from the Wild…
Minnesota Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher announced that forward Dany Heatley underwent successful surgery today on his left shoulder by Dr. Tony Miniaci at the Cleveland Clinic.
Heatley will miss the remainder of this season and is expected to be fully recovered for the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)