Apr 9, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
Wild forward Dany Heatley is expected to miss the remainder of the regular season and playoffs with a shoulder injury, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Heatley, 32, underwent shoulder surgery today after getting hurt during an altercation with San Jose defenseman Marc-Eduouard Vlasic last week.
It was originally though the injury would only sideline Heatley for the rest of the regular season, allowing him to return for the postseason.
More, from Russo:
Heatley underwent surgery this morning at the Cleveland Clinic. [Wild GM Chuck] Fletcher said the hope was that he would miss four or five weeks, but Dr. Tony Miniaci has informed the team that Heatley will likely miss the rest of the season.
Prior to getting hurt, Heatley had appeared in 36 of Minnesota’s 37 games this year, scoring 21 points while sitting third on the team in goals (11). He also averaged 18:32 TOI per game.
The Wild went into Wednesday’s action sitting sixth in the Western Conference, four points back of Vancouver (50) for first place in the Northwest Division.
Here’s the official release from the Wild…
Minnesota Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher announced that forward Dany Heatley underwent successful surgery today on his left shoulder by Dr. Tony Miniaci at the Cleveland Clinic.
Heatley will miss the remainder of this season and is expected to be fully recovered for the start of the 2013-14 campaign.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 10
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 27
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)