Apr 9, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
Mason — acquired from Columbus at the trade deadline — stopped all nine shots he faced on Saturday in Winnipeg after Ilya Bryzgalov was pulled. The goalie switch came too late, however, as the Jets beat the Flyers, 4-1, handing Philadelphia’s already-slim playoff hopes a blow.
After a strong January, Bryzgalov’s save percentage has fallen all the way to .896. And the fact he’s not starting such an important game, despite having two days to rest up, says something.
Mason was a less-than-impressive 3-6-1 with a .899 save percentage for the Blue Jackets this season, but the 24-year-old is hoping a change of scenery will do him good. If he plays well down the stretch, expect the Brygalov buyout chatter to increase.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7