Apr 9, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
Mason — acquired from Columbus at the trade deadline — stopped all nine shots he faced on Saturday in Winnipeg after Ilya Bryzgalov was pulled. The goalie switch came too late, however, as the Jets beat the Flyers, 4-1, handing Philadelphia’s already-slim playoff hopes a blow.
After a strong January, Bryzgalov’s save percentage has fallen all the way to .896. And the fact he’s not starting such an important game, despite having two days to rest up, says something.
Mason was a less-than-impressive 3-6-1 with a .899 save percentage for the Blue Jackets this season, but the 24-year-old is hoping a change of scenery will do him good. If he plays well down the stretch, expect the Brygalov buyout chatter to increase.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 12
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)