Apr 9, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
Mason — acquired from Columbus at the trade deadline — stopped all nine shots he faced on Saturday in Winnipeg after Ilya Bryzgalov was pulled. The goalie switch came too late, however, as the Jets beat the Flyers, 4-1, handing Philadelphia’s already-slim playoff hopes a blow.
After a strong January, Bryzgalov’s save percentage has fallen all the way to .896. And the fact he’s not starting such an important game, despite having two days to rest up, says something.
Mason was a less-than-impressive 3-6-1 with a .899 save percentage for the Blue Jackets this season, but the 24-year-old is hoping a change of scenery will do him good. If he plays well down the stretch, expect the Brygalov buyout chatter to increase.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)