Apr 9, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
Mason — acquired from Columbus at the trade deadline — stopped all nine shots he faced on Saturday in Winnipeg after Ilya Bryzgalov was pulled. The goalie switch came too late, however, as the Jets beat the Flyers, 4-1, handing Philadelphia’s already-slim playoff hopes a blow.
After a strong January, Bryzgalov’s save percentage has fallen all the way to .896. And the fact he’s not starting such an important game, despite having two days to rest up, says something.
Mason was a less-than-impressive 3-6-1 with a .899 save percentage for the Blue Jackets this season, but the 24-year-old is hoping a change of scenery will do him good. If he plays well down the stretch, expect the Brygalov buyout chatter to increase.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)