Apr 9, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Lupul, 29, hasn’t played since taking this heavy hit from Flyers forwards Jay Rosehill and Adam Hall on Apr. 4:
The Leafs have been calling the ailment an “upper-body” injury over the last week and have been very cautious regarding the topic of a potential concussion.
“No that’s a bad word,” head coach Randy Carlyle said over the weekend. “We don’t use that word until we’re 100 per cent sure on any of those situations medically.
“The term concussion, in today’s sporting world, you want to make sure you’re 100 per cent sure before you start using that one.”
Lupul’s had a frustrating year in terms of trying to get into the lineup. He missed a bunch of time with a broken arm and, shortly after returning, served a two-game suspension for hitting Tampa defenseman Victor Hedman.
Now, he’s back on the shelf with his latest injury.
Despite all this, Lupul has still managed to rack up 14 points in 10 games and earn himself a five-year, $26.25 million extension from the Leafs.
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)