Apr 9, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
The New York Islanders were supposed to play a preseason game at their future home on Oct. 2, 2012. Unfortunately, that lockout thing got in the way.
Today, the Isles announced they’ll try again on Sept. 21, 2013, when they take on the New Jersey Devils at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
The preseason game will mark the first NHL game ever played in Brooklyn.*
“We are delighted to give Brooklyn a sneak peak at its future hometown NHL team this September as we welcome the Islanders to Barclays Center for the first time,” Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark said in a release. “There’s a lot of excitement about professional hockey bound for Brooklyn, where the Islanders have a terrific opportunity to grow their fan base and build their brand. The team is showing great resurgence this season, with young star John Tavares, and is on the verge of making the playoffs. We’re proud to continue to bring top sports and entertainment to Barclays Center and we look forward to welcoming Brooklyn’s newest team.”
It will be interesting to see how the rink looks when set up for hockey. For more on that, click here.
*The old Brooklyn Americans played in Manhattan at Madison Square Garden. For more on that, click here.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (141)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)