Apr 9, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
The New York Islanders were supposed to play a preseason game at their future home on Oct. 2, 2012. Unfortunately, that lockout thing got in the way.
Today, the Isles announced they’ll try again on Sept. 21, 2013, when they take on the New Jersey Devils at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
The preseason game will mark the first NHL game ever played in Brooklyn.*
“We are delighted to give Brooklyn a sneak peak at its future hometown NHL team this September as we welcome the Islanders to Barclays Center for the first time,” Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark said in a release. “There’s a lot of excitement about professional hockey bound for Brooklyn, where the Islanders have a terrific opportunity to grow their fan base and build their brand. The team is showing great resurgence this season, with young star John Tavares, and is on the verge of making the playoffs. We’re proud to continue to bring top sports and entertainment to Barclays Center and we look forward to welcoming Brooklyn’s newest team.”
It will be interesting to see how the rink looks when set up for hockey. For more on that, click here.
*The old Brooklyn Americans played in Manhattan at Madison Square Garden. For more on that, click here.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39