Apr 9, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes lost again last night, falling 6-2 to the Bruins in Boston.
The loss was Carolina’s 11th regulation loss in its last 13 games. In those regulation losses, the ‘Canes have been outscored 49-16 — a negative goal differential of 33.
But hey, at least they beat Winnipeg once during that stretch.
Even worse for Carolina fans, the Hurricanes were once looking looking like a sure bet to make the playoffs. On March 12, not even a month ago, Sports Club Stats had their postseason chances at 94.0%. But those chances are down to 1.5% today.
Goaltending has been the biggest issue for Carolina. When starter Cam Ward went down with an MCL sprain in early March, it left Dan Ellis and Justin Peters to share the duties. Clearly, neither has been up to the task.
Which begs the question: Should ‘Canes general manager Jim Rutherford have tried harder to address the goaltending prior to the trade deadline? Not talking about Roberto Luongo, but maybe a call to Edmonton about Nikolai Khabibulin?
Chances are, Rutherford did explore the rental goalie market. And to be fair, there wasn’t a whole lot available. Remember that the Oilers are in a playoff race, too. They weren’t going to just give away their veteran backup.
“When you lose your number one goalie and your top defenseman,” coach Kirk Muller said recently, “it’s a bit of a challenge.”
Still, the losses are too bad to attribute solely to injuries, no matter how key the players. Every team deals with injuries. Not all of them completely implode.
Carolina hosts Pittsburgh tonight.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Vancouver leads L.A. by three points in the Pacific Division.
Mar 29, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Vancouver creates breathing room in the Pacific Division.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
The Wild defeated the L.A. Kings 4-1.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Max Pacioretty scored the winner.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT
Toronto won for just the sixth time in 34 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Collided with Cody Goloubef in the first period.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
He allowed two goals on nine first period shots.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Finished off a nice passing play by Jagr and Huberdeau.
Mar 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s starter tested early.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pens defenseman will remain in hospital overnight.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
He appeared in eight games with Columbus this season.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’ll cost him $3,897.85.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Detroit moves five points up on Boston in the Atlantic with the win.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Anaheim currently has the NHL’s best record as well.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Big win for the B’s.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
The West’s first ticket gets punched.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
There’s plenty of debate about it being dirty or clean.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
The only update so far is he’s “unlikely to return.”
Mar 28, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
A positive trend on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh killed the penalty.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)