Apr 9, 2013, 11:04 AM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes lost again last night, falling 6-2 to the Bruins in Boston.
The loss was Carolina’s 11th regulation loss in its last 13 games. In those regulation losses, the ‘Canes have been outscored 49-16 — a negative goal differential of 33.
But hey, at least they beat Winnipeg once during that stretch.
Even worse for Carolina fans, the Hurricanes were once looking looking like a sure bet to make the playoffs. On March 12, not even a month ago, Sports Club Stats had their postseason chances at 94.0%. But those chances are down to 1.5% today.
Goaltending has been the biggest issue for Carolina. When starter Cam Ward went down with an MCL sprain in early March, it left Dan Ellis and Justin Peters to share the duties. Clearly, neither has been up to the task.
Which begs the question: Should ‘Canes general manager Jim Rutherford have tried harder to address the goaltending prior to the trade deadline? Not talking about Roberto Luongo, but maybe a call to Edmonton about Nikolai Khabibulin?
Chances are, Rutherford did explore the rental goalie market. And to be fair, there wasn’t a whole lot available. Remember that the Oilers are in a playoff race, too. They weren’t going to just give away their veteran backup.
“When you lose your number one goalie and your top defenseman,” coach Kirk Muller said recently, “it’s a bit of a challenge.”
Still, the losses are too bad to attribute solely to injuries, no matter how key the players. Every team deals with injuries. Not all of them completely implode.
Carolina hosts Pittsburgh tonight.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)