Apr 9, 2013, 11:04 AM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes lost again last night, falling 6-2 to the Bruins in Boston.
The loss was Carolina’s 11th regulation loss in its last 13 games. In those regulation losses, the ‘Canes have been outscored 49-16 — a negative goal differential of 33.
But hey, at least they beat Winnipeg once during that stretch.
Even worse for Carolina fans, the Hurricanes were once looking looking like a sure bet to make the playoffs. On March 12, not even a month ago, Sports Club Stats had their postseason chances at 94.0%. But those chances are down to 1.5% today.
Goaltending has been the biggest issue for Carolina. When starter Cam Ward went down with an MCL sprain in early March, it left Dan Ellis and Justin Peters to share the duties. Clearly, neither has been up to the task.
Which begs the question: Should ‘Canes general manager Jim Rutherford have tried harder to address the goaltending prior to the trade deadline? Not talking about Roberto Luongo, but maybe a call to Edmonton about Nikolai Khabibulin?
Chances are, Rutherford did explore the rental goalie market. And to be fair, there wasn’t a whole lot available. Remember that the Oilers are in a playoff race, too. They weren’t going to just give away their veteran backup.
“When you lose your number one goalie and your top defenseman,” coach Kirk Muller said recently, “it’s a bit of a challenge.”
Still, the losses are too bad to attribute solely to injuries, no matter how key the players. Every team deals with injuries. Not all of them completely implode.
Carolina hosts Pittsburgh tonight.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
He’s appeared in 737 consecutive games.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
Good luck with that.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
He shared the evidence and a boatload of hashtags.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
His twin Henrik will play his 1,031st.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
The kind of pass you’d don a mullet wig for.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:33 AM EST
The Syracuse Crunch and Utica Comets drew more than 30,000 fans.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:01 AM EST
Nov 23, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Washington lost out on a chance for three straight wins.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
These teams play against Dec. 27.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:23 PM EST
Struggling is an understatement.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:56 PM EST
Meanwhile, Edmonton at risk of losing six straight.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
New York takes both games of home-and-home set with Pittsburgh.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:23 PM EST
Difficult news for Washington.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:13 PM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Dealt with injury last season.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
Fight didn’t last long.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
“This is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen in my life with Toronto.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 23
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 76
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (76)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)