Apr 9, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
The day after getting one key contributor back from injury, Vancouver lost two more.
That was the word out of Canucks practice on Tuesday as head coach Alain Vigneault told reporters winger Chris Higgins and defenseman Chris Tanev would be out of the lineup for an indefinite length of time.
Vigneault wasn’t divulging much about the severity of either injury.
“Both [Higgins and Tanev] have lower-body injuries and will not join us on the road trip,” he explained.
Vigneault went on to add he hopes to have both back for the playoffs.
News of the losses have to be tough for the Canucks, who only just got back Ryan Kesler (he scored the game-winning goal in Monday’s 2-0 win over Phoenix).
They head out on a five-game trip that begins Wednesday in Calgary.
Higgins has been one of the club’s most consistent performers this season, tied for third in goals (10). He also recently inked a four-year, $10 million extension.
Tanev has shown steady improvement and turned into one of the team’s most responsible defensemen, averaging over 17 minutes per night.
In addition to keeping mum about severity, Vancouver wasn’t offering much as to how either player got hurt. It’s possible Tanev was injured on a Tim Jackman hit during Saturday’s 5-2 win over Calgary (he returned to finish the game, but didn’t play on Monday)
Higgins played over 18 minutes last night against the Coyotes, including a full compliment of shifts in the third period. He did miss some games earlier this year with a back issue.
Update: According to the Vancouver Sun’s Elliott Pap, Tanev was seen leaving Rogers Arena wearing a walking boot on his right foot.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)