Apr 9, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
The day after getting one key contributor back from injury, Vancouver lost two more.
That was the word out of Canucks practice on Tuesday as head coach Alain Vigneault told reporters winger Chris Higgins and defenseman Chris Tanev would be out of the lineup for an indefinite length of time.
Vigneault wasn’t divulging much about the severity of either injury.
“Both [Higgins and Tanev] have lower-body injuries and will not join us on the road trip,” he explained.
Vigneault went on to add he hopes to have both back for the playoffs.
News of the losses have to be tough for the Canucks, who only just got back Ryan Kesler (he scored the game-winning goal in Monday’s 2-0 win over Phoenix).
They head out on a five-game trip that begins Wednesday in Calgary.
Higgins has been one of the club’s most consistent performers this season, tied for third in goals (10). He also recently inked a four-year, $10 million extension.
Tanev has shown steady improvement and turned into one of the team’s most responsible defensemen, averaging over 17 minutes per night.
In addition to keeping mum about severity, Vancouver wasn’t offering much as to how either player got hurt. It’s possible Tanev was injured on a Tim Jackman hit during Saturday’s 5-2 win over Calgary (he returned to finish the game, but didn’t play on Monday)
Higgins played over 18 minutes last night against the Coyotes, including a full compliment of shifts in the third period. He did miss some games earlier this year with a back issue.
Update: According to the Vancouver Sun’s Elliott Pap, Tanev was seen leaving Rogers Arena wearing a walking boot on his right foot.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)