Apr 9, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
The day after getting one key contributor back from injury, Vancouver lost two more.
That was the word out of Canucks practice on Tuesday as head coach Alain Vigneault told reporters winger Chris Higgins and defenseman Chris Tanev would be out of the lineup for an indefinite length of time.
Vigneault wasn’t divulging much about the severity of either injury.
“Both [Higgins and Tanev] have lower-body injuries and will not join us on the road trip,” he explained.
Vigneault went on to add he hopes to have both back for the playoffs.
News of the losses have to be tough for the Canucks, who only just got back Ryan Kesler (he scored the game-winning goal in Monday’s 2-0 win over Phoenix).
They head out on a five-game trip that begins Wednesday in Calgary.
Higgins has been one of the club’s most consistent performers this season, tied for third in goals (10). He also recently inked a four-year, $10 million extension.
Tanev has shown steady improvement and turned into one of the team’s most responsible defensemen, averaging over 17 minutes per night.
In addition to keeping mum about severity, Vancouver wasn’t offering much as to how either player got hurt. It’s possible Tanev was injured on a Tim Jackman hit during Saturday’s 5-2 win over Calgary (he returned to finish the game, but didn’t play on Monday)
Higgins played over 18 minutes last night against the Coyotes, including a full compliment of shifts in the third period. He did miss some games earlier this year with a back issue.
Update: According to the Vancouver Sun’s Elliott Pap, Tanev was seen leaving Rogers Arena wearing a walking boot on his right foot.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)