Apr 9, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
With the NHL still in talks about the possibility of playing in the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper weighed in on the matter.
Harper wants to see Canadian NHL stars get a chance to represent their country in Russia and has urged NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to make that a reality, according to the Associated Press.
Whether or not Harper gets his way remains to be seen, but he might not have to wait much longer for an answer.
Bob Nicholson, an IIHF competition committee member and the president Hockey Canada, expects a decision on the matter before the men’s world championship starts on May 3.
“It’s not a deadline for us, but it certainly helps us,” Nicholson said in a Toronto Star report. “If the NHL players are going to the Olympics we have our management staff in place and it certainly helps us get the players we want there.”
IIHF president Rene Fasel agrees with Nicholson.
“We’re still hoping to have an answer before the start of the world championship, which is the end of this month,” Fasel said.
“There’s really a lot to discuss. There are a number of partners involved, so it’s not so easy — the IOC, us, the NHL and NHLPA and everybody is busy at this time of year.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)