Apr 9, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
With the NHL still in talks about the possibility of playing in the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper weighed in on the matter.
Harper wants to see Canadian NHL stars get a chance to represent their country in Russia and has urged NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to make that a reality, according to the Associated Press.
Whether or not Harper gets his way remains to be seen, but he might not have to wait much longer for an answer.
Bob Nicholson, an IIHF competition committee member and the president Hockey Canada, expects a decision on the matter before the men’s world championship starts on May 3.
“It’s not a deadline for us, but it certainly helps us,” Nicholson said in a Toronto Star report. “If the NHL players are going to the Olympics we have our management staff in place and it certainly helps us get the players we want there.”
IIHF president Rene Fasel agrees with Nicholson.
“We’re still hoping to have an answer before the start of the world championship, which is the end of this month,” Fasel said.
“There’s really a lot to discuss. There are a number of partners involved, so it’s not so easy — the IOC, us, the NHL and NHLPA and everybody is busy at this time of year.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)