Apr 9, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have reached an agreement on a multi-year contract with Swedish forward Carl Soderberg, according to ESPN.
Late last night, CSNNE.com reported that the club was “very close” to getting something done.
According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the contract with the 27-year-old Soderberg is all but done from a Bruins perspective and now the team is wading through the international requirements to bring him to the NHL. That means purchasing him from his Linkoping Swedish Elite League club and making sure that the IIHF has signed off on the transaction
Bottom line: it sounds like Soderberg could be in a Boston uniform for the playoffs. And given he scored an SEL-high 31 goals in 54 games this season, the B’s might be able to use him.
“He’s a big body, and he’s a really good shot too,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “He could definitely help us.”
Soderberg was drafted 49th overall in 2004 by St. Louis. In 2007, the B’s acquired him in a trade, sending Hannu Toivonen to the Blues in return.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 65
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (69)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)