Apr 9, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have reached an agreement on a multi-year contract with Swedish forward Carl Soderberg, according to ESPN.
Late last night, CSNNE.com reported that the club was “very close” to getting something done.
According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the contract with the 27-year-old Soderberg is all but done from a Bruins perspective and now the team is wading through the international requirements to bring him to the NHL. That means purchasing him from his Linkoping Swedish Elite League club and making sure that the IIHF has signed off on the transaction
Bottom line: it sounds like Soderberg could be in a Boston uniform for the playoffs. And given he scored an SEL-high 31 goals in 54 games this season, the B’s might be able to use him.
“He’s a big body, and he’s a really good shot too,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “He could definitely help us.”
Soderberg was drafted 49th overall in 2004 by St. Louis. In 2007, the B’s acquired him in a trade, sending Hannu Toivonen to the Blues in return.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)