Apr 9, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
The Boston Bruins have reached an agreement on a multi-year contract with Swedish forward Carl Soderberg, according to ESPN.
Late last night, CSNNE.com reported that the club was “very close” to getting something done.
According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the contract with the 27-year-old Soderberg is all but done from a Bruins perspective and now the team is wading through the international requirements to bring him to the NHL. That means purchasing him from his Linkoping Swedish Elite League club and making sure that the IIHF has signed off on the transaction
Bottom line: it sounds like Soderberg could be in a Boston uniform for the playoffs. And given he scored an SEL-high 31 goals in 54 games this season, the B’s might be able to use him.
“He’s a big body, and he’s a really good shot too,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “He could definitely help us.”
Soderberg was drafted 49th overall in 2004 by St. Louis. In 2007, the B’s acquired him in a trade, sending Hannu Toivonen to the Blues in return.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 48
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 18
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 28
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (61)