Apr 9, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have reached an agreement on a multi-year contract with Swedish forward Carl Soderberg, according to ESPN.
Late last night, CSNNE.com reported that the club was “very close” to getting something done.
According to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the contract with the 27-year-old Soderberg is all but done from a Bruins perspective and now the team is wading through the international requirements to bring him to the NHL. That means purchasing him from his Linkoping Swedish Elite League club and making sure that the IIHF has signed off on the transaction
Bottom line: it sounds like Soderberg could be in a Boston uniform for the playoffs. And given he scored an SEL-high 31 goals in 54 games this season, the B’s might be able to use him.
“He’s a big body, and he’s a really good shot too,” said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “He could definitely help us.”
Soderberg was drafted 49th overall in 2004 by St. Louis. In 2007, the B’s acquired him in a trade, sending Hannu Toivonen to the Blues in return.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)