Apr 9, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues have brought another talented young forward into the mix, recalling Dmitrij Jaskin from AHL Peoria on Tuesday.
Jaskin, 20, was St. Louis’ second-round pick (41st overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent the majority of this season with Moncton of the Quebec Major Junior league, scoring 99 points in 51 games — leading the Wildcats in scoring while finishing fifth overall in the league.
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Russian-born Czech had been assigned to Peoria but never actually got a game in with the Rivermen, as there were immigration issues.
“He’s a big power forward and he’s got skill,” Blues director of scouting Rob Dimaio told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “He proved that in the (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). He skates well enough and he’s smart enough that he can make space for himself. He was a dominant player at the junior level.
“You don’t want to put undue pressure on a young kid that comes in here. But our player development guy Tim Taylor says that (Jaskin) is a man. So physically, he’s ready to step in at this level.”
Update: Jaskin won’t play tonight when the Blues take on the Preds in Nashville.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)