Apr 9, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues have brought another talented young forward into the mix, recalling Dmitrij Jaskin from AHL Peoria on Tuesday.
Jaskin, 20, was St. Louis’ second-round pick (41st overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent the majority of this season with Moncton of the Quebec Major Junior league, scoring 99 points in 51 games — leading the Wildcats in scoring while finishing fifth overall in the league.
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Russian-born Czech had been assigned to Peoria but never actually got a game in with the Rivermen, as there were immigration issues.
“He’s a big power forward and he’s got skill,” Blues director of scouting Rob Dimaio told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “He proved that in the (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). He skates well enough and he’s smart enough that he can make space for himself. He was a dominant player at the junior level.
“You don’t want to put undue pressure on a young kid that comes in here. But our player development guy Tim Taylor says that (Jaskin) is a man. So physically, he’s ready to step in at this level.”
Update: Jaskin won’t play tonight when the Blues take on the Preds in Nashville.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)