Apr 9, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have brought another talented young forward into the mix, recalling Dmitrij Jaskin from AHL Peoria on Tuesday.
Jaskin, 20, was St. Louis’ second-round pick (41st overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent the majority of this season with Moncton of the Quebec Major Junior league, scoring 99 points in 51 games — leading the Wildcats in scoring while finishing fifth overall in the league.
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Russian-born Czech had been assigned to Peoria but never actually got a game in with the Rivermen, as there were immigration issues.
“He’s a big power forward and he’s got skill,” Blues director of scouting Rob Dimaio told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “He proved that in the (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). He skates well enough and he’s smart enough that he can make space for himself. He was a dominant player at the junior level.
“You don’t want to put undue pressure on a young kid that comes in here. But our player development guy Tim Taylor says that (Jaskin) is a man. So physically, he’s ready to step in at this level.”
Update: Jaskin won’t play tonight when the Blues take on the Preds in Nashville.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)