Apr 9, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues have brought another talented young forward into the mix, recalling Dmitrij Jaskin from AHL Peoria on Tuesday.
Jaskin, 20, was St. Louis’ second-round pick (41st overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent the majority of this season with Moncton of the Quebec Major Junior league, scoring 99 points in 51 games — leading the Wildcats in scoring while finishing fifth overall in the league.
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Russian-born Czech had been assigned to Peoria but never actually got a game in with the Rivermen, as there were immigration issues.
“He’s a big power forward and he’s got skill,” Blues director of scouting Rob Dimaio told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “He proved that in the (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). He skates well enough and he’s smart enough that he can make space for himself. He was a dominant player at the junior level.
“You don’t want to put undue pressure on a young kid that comes in here. But our player development guy Tim Taylor says that (Jaskin) is a man. So physically, he’s ready to step in at this level.”
Update: Jaskin won’t play tonight when the Blues take on the Preds in Nashville.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)