Apr 9, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues have brought another talented young forward into the mix, recalling Dmitrij Jaskin from AHL Peoria on Tuesday.
Jaskin, 20, was St. Louis’ second-round pick (41st overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and spent the majority of this season with Moncton of the Quebec Major Junior league, scoring 99 points in 51 games — leading the Wildcats in scoring while finishing fifth overall in the league.
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Russian-born Czech had been assigned to Peoria but never actually got a game in with the Rivermen, as there were immigration issues.
“He’s a big power forward and he’s got skill,” Blues director of scouting Rob Dimaio told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “He proved that in the (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). He skates well enough and he’s smart enough that he can make space for himself. He was a dominant player at the junior level.
“You don’t want to put undue pressure on a young kid that comes in here. But our player development guy Tim Taylor says that (Jaskin) is a man. So physically, he’s ready to step in at this level.”
Update: Jaskin won’t play tonight when the Blues take on the Preds in Nashville.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)