Apr 9, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
The day after unleashing an angry rant questioning the commitment of some teammates, Colorado goalie JS Giguere wasn’t backing down, but did apologize for the way he went about it.
Doesn’t sound like his coach or teammates felt the apology was necessary, though.
[Giguere] apologized for airing his “dirty laundry”, but all teammates asked about his tirade said they had no problems with what the respected veteran said.
Avs coach Joe Sacco said the 35-year-old Giguere doesn’t need to apologize for anything.
“It may have not been the right way to do it, I don’t know,” Giguere said after practice Tuesday. “Bottom line is, we could say we’ll wait until next year, and start over next year, start a new season and all that, or we can do something about it now.
“We know we’re going to have the same group, essentially the same players, so why not try to change that mentality, that culture, right now?”
Following Monday’s 3-1 loss to Calgary, Giguere said he was “embarrassed” by Colorado’s effort and wondered if some of his teammates were committed to winning.
He also unleashed this gem:
“Some guys are more worried about their Vegas trip at the end of the season than playing the games, than playing every minute of the games.
“Quite frankly, I don’t care about your Vegas trip right now.”
Sacco wasn’t the only person coming to Giguere’s defense, as center Matt Duchene said he liked what the veteran goalie did.
“I hoped everyone saw it,” Duchene told the Post. “Obviously he let his emotions get the best of him, but sometimes that’s a good thing. I was a fan of it. That’s one example of what might be going on with some guys, but the biggest thing is, we can’t be looking for an easy way out.
“The hard way out is getting better every day as a team and as an individual, and that’s what we owe to ourselves, each other and to our fans. What Jiggy said hopefully grabbed the attention over everyone.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54