Apr 8, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Sullivan’s time in the Devils’ organization only lasted a few years before he was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs. On Sunday, Sullivan found the back of the net as a New Jersey Devils’ player for the first time since Feb. 15, 1997.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
A lot has changed for the Devils over the last 16 years, but there’s some things that haven’t. As the Devils pointed out, Martin Brodeur was also the starting goaltender when Sullivan netted his previous goal with New Jersey.
Additionally, while Sullivan netted the goal with the man advantage, when at even strength he was playing alongside Patrik Elias. The duo spent most of the 1995-96 campaign playing together in the AHL and have since gone on to individually participate in more than 1,000 NHL games.
“[The Elias-Travis Zajac-Sullivan line] spent the whole night in the other team’s end,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said in an NHL report. “They didn’t have anything to show for it 5-on-5, but it wasn’t for lack of effort.”
Ultimately, Sullivan’s efforts weren’t enough as the Devils dropped their seventh game in a row.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)