Apr 8, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Sullivan’s time in the Devils’ organization only lasted a few years before he was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs. On Sunday, Sullivan found the back of the net as a New Jersey Devils’ player for the first time since Feb. 15, 1997.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
A lot has changed for the Devils over the last 16 years, but there’s some things that haven’t. As the Devils pointed out, Martin Brodeur was also the starting goaltender when Sullivan netted his previous goal with New Jersey.
Additionally, while Sullivan netted the goal with the man advantage, when at even strength he was playing alongside Patrik Elias. The duo spent most of the 1995-96 campaign playing together in the AHL and have since gone on to individually participate in more than 1,000 NHL games.
“[The Elias-Travis Zajac-Sullivan line] spent the whole night in the other team’s end,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said in an NHL report. “They didn’t have anything to show for it 5-on-5, but it wasn’t for lack of effort.”
Ultimately, Sullivan’s efforts weren’t enough as the Devils dropped their seventh game in a row.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)