Apr 8, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Sullivan’s time in the Devils’ organization only lasted a few years before he was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs. On Sunday, Sullivan found the back of the net as a New Jersey Devils’ player for the first time since Feb. 15, 1997.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
A lot has changed for the Devils over the last 16 years, but there’s some things that haven’t. As the Devils pointed out, Martin Brodeur was also the starting goaltender when Sullivan netted his previous goal with New Jersey.
Additionally, while Sullivan netted the goal with the man advantage, when at even strength he was playing alongside Patrik Elias. The duo spent most of the 1995-96 campaign playing together in the AHL and have since gone on to individually participate in more than 1,000 NHL games.
“[The Elias-Travis Zajac-Sullivan line] spent the whole night in the other team’s end,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said in an NHL report. “They didn’t have anything to show for it 5-on-5, but it wasn’t for lack of effort.”
Ultimately, Sullivan’s efforts weren’t enough as the Devils dropped their seventh game in a row.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)