Video — PHT Extra: All about outdoor games

Apr 8, 2013, 7:38 PM EDT

If you’re looking for criticism about the possibility of there being more than one outdoor game next season, then you’re probably looking in the wrong place. PHT’s Jason Brough and Mike Halford sing the praises of the Winter Classic format, a potential game at Dodgers Stadium, their wish list for future games and more:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. Stiller43 - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

That Kay Adams is flat out gorgeous…what were you guys talking about again?

2. ravenscaps48 - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Flames and Canucks in Vancouver
    Dallas and Minnesota at Target Field
    Islanders and Capitals at Nationals Park
    Kings and Ducks at Dodger Stadium

• tcclark - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I like those. I would just add:
      Rangers – Bruins – Yankee Stadium
      Flyers – Penguins – Beaver Stadium
      Eskimos – Rangers – Mystery, Alaska

• ravenscaps48 - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Well Played. Would they be the real Rangers, or a team of fictionally based players?

• tcclark - Apr 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM

oh definitely the real deal. Lundy, Nash, Richards etc vs. Russel Crowe, that Native American guy, and the high school kid. I’d watch that.

3. sportsfreak13 - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I really want to see a pens vs flyers game at Penn State. I know it won’t happen anytime soon because pens have been in 2 already and Philly one, but imagine the ratings and the $ it would draw. The location is somewhat neutral and can hold 107,247. I would pay an unlimited amount of money to go to that game.

• bensawesomeness - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

the NHL doesn’t seem to really have a rhyme or reason as to why and when teams get it, but i think you’re right, being in 3 before someone in a northern market gets 1 would be poor form

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Your wrong as usual the Flyers have been in 2

• sportsfreak13 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Haha sorry. I forgot about the bruins game. Must suck to be 0-2 outside.

• sportsfreak13 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I guess your use to seeing your team choke on big stage haha.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 9, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Like you choke on PHT !

• bmscalise - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

It isn’t that I don’t get the intrigue of an all-PA game in State College. But people need to let that go. State College doesn’t have the infrastructure to support that many people (a large percentage of the crowed during football games are students who already live there – and game-day Saturdays are hellish enough. There’s no way that little town can handle bringing in more than 100,000 people. And these games come with all kinds of secondary events that wouldn’t be possible without the resources of a substantial city.

Besides – these games aren’t for the fans: they are for the sponsors, etc. What exactly would State College offer that group? Is everyone going to go get a burger at the Corner Room? Never happen.

• sportsfreak13 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Why do you have to go and bring logic into this. Can’t a man dream? Just joking, all valid points. I don’t see that scenario playing out.

4. puckmepuckyou - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Flyers played two as well

5. JoeAvg - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I’d like to see them have about 50 these every year so that people get tired of them, they become no big deal, and finally go away. The first couple games had good novelty value and were kind of cool but after that you just got tired of inferior ice conditions causing sloppy play. I’d much rather see these teams play full tilt. The game in Pittsburgh with 40 degrees and rain was the last straw for me. Sooner or later someone is going to get a skate caught in rut and ruin a knee along with a teams playoff hopes.

• chanceoffleury1 - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Exactly. I’m from Pittsburgh and I loved that opportunity for the city, but I just don’t think they can ever go farther south than that. I remember them cancelling events on it and stuff because they were just trying to do EVERYTHING to make it work and the safest for the players since it kept melting. The ice was still terrible. I know everyone wants the LA game, but that ice would be dangerous.

6. tbbolts91 - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Dallas vs Phoenix
    Tampa vs Florida
    Columbus vs Edmonton

Those are just my dream matchups

• handsofsweed - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:12 PM

If those are your dream matchups, you should go back to sleep and try again.

• tbbolts91 - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Hahah I was kidding. Funny reply I’ll give you that

7. ikedavisnose - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Islanders vs. Rangers at either Citi Field or Yankee Stadium

8. steelers88 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Why don’t we just play one outdoor game a year? If you play 4 or 5 in a year it won’t be as exciting.

9. ryanw822 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Panthers at Phoenix
    Carolina at Dallas
    Anaheim at Tampa Bay
    Nashville at Columbus

10. chanceoffleury1 - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Bruins and Rangers at Gillette. Another that probably wouldn’t happen for a while since Boston already hosted one, but the NY-Boston rivalry in any sport is a good one. They’d sell out for sure and have tons of merchandise. You could do Boston-Montreal, too. That matchup is right there with Toronto and Detroit for the American vs. Canadian franchise matchup.

The new Vikings Stadium opens in 2016 which would make a great reasoning for a Wild-Dallas game. Or if Suter/Parise are still on the team they could do Nashville or New Jersey instead of Dallas and take that angle. It’s supposed to have some sort of retractable roof, so makes sense.

Denver and somebody else at Mile High Stadium would be another great one. They have everything to make a great “hockey city” but they struggle and they’re probably gonna get a couple great draft picks and have a better team to put out on the ice in a couple years. Plus you’ll definitely get snow. They need something to lift that franchise up!

11. blomfeld - Apr 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM

THE GREAT OUTDOORS !

As a no-nonsense and red-blooded Canadian man who’s bloodlines have been antagonists with the French for centuries, I say “bring it on” in terms of these planned outdoor NHL games! And to heck with two or three games. Why not play 30-40 games a year “outdoors” in cities where the game is indigenous and “one” with the people!

PS all Frenchies: even though we’ve “historically” been combatants, I seriously love you guys ! :)

12. steelpenbucs87 - Apr 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Give it a year or two and do NYI and NYR at Yankee Stadium. Not the sexiest match up right now but if the Isles stay on their current trajectory that could be a great match up.

13. okphi1124 - Apr 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

DET @ CBJ. great rivalry, great venue, great town.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches