Apr 8, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along news that Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson participated in some skating drills, less than two months after suffering a season-ending lacerated Achilles tendon.
Now it sounds like he’s eying a return to action.
“It’s not that far-fetched,” Anderson told Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun about Karlsson’s potential return before the end of the regular season.
“I saw video of him skating this morning and I was quite impressed,” Anderson quipped. “He skates better than I do.”
Karlsson suffered the injury roughly seven weeks ago and, after undergoing immediate surgery to repair the tendon, was given a recovery window of 3-4 months.
The “silver lining” at the time was he only suffered a 70 percent laceration. A fully severed tendon required a shortening process that could have significantly delayed Karlsson’s rehab.
As for the possibility of returning this year…
The Sens have 10 games remaining in the regular season, with their season finale on Saturday, Apr. 27 against the Flyers.
That would give Karlsson nearly three more weeks of rehab before getting in a game prior to the playoffs, assuming Ottawa makes it.
The Senators currently sit sixth in the Eastern Conference with 44 points, four clear of ninth-place New Jersey with a game in hand.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)