Apr 8, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along news that Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson participated in some skating drills, less than two months after suffering a season-ending lacerated Achilles tendon.
Now it sounds like he’s eying a return to action.
“It’s not that far-fetched,” Anderson told Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun about Karlsson’s potential return before the end of the regular season.
“I saw video of him skating this morning and I was quite impressed,” Anderson quipped. “He skates better than I do.”
Karlsson suffered the injury roughly seven weeks ago and, after undergoing immediate surgery to repair the tendon, was given a recovery window of 3-4 months.
The “silver lining” at the time was he only suffered a 70 percent laceration. A fully severed tendon required a shortening process that could have significantly delayed Karlsson’s rehab.
As for the possibility of returning this year…
The Sens have 10 games remaining in the regular season, with their season finale on Saturday, Apr. 27 against the Flyers.
That would give Karlsson nearly three more weeks of rehab before getting in a game prior to the playoffs, assuming Ottawa makes it.
The Senators currently sit sixth in the Eastern Conference with 44 points, four clear of ninth-place New Jersey with a game in hand.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)