Apr 8, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along news that Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson participated in some skating drills, less than two months after suffering a season-ending lacerated Achilles tendon.
Now it sounds like he’s eying a return to action.
“It’s not that far-fetched,” Anderson told Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun about Karlsson’s potential return before the end of the regular season.
“I saw video of him skating this morning and I was quite impressed,” Anderson quipped. “He skates better than I do.”
Karlsson suffered the injury roughly seven weeks ago and, after undergoing immediate surgery to repair the tendon, was given a recovery window of 3-4 months.
The “silver lining” at the time was he only suffered a 70 percent laceration. A fully severed tendon required a shortening process that could have significantly delayed Karlsson’s rehab.
As for the possibility of returning this year…
The Sens have 10 games remaining in the regular season, with their season finale on Saturday, Apr. 27 against the Flyers.
That would give Karlsson nearly three more weeks of rehab before getting in a game prior to the playoffs, assuming Ottawa makes it.
The Senators currently sit sixth in the Eastern Conference with 44 points, four clear of ninth-place New Jersey with a game in hand.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 2
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 7
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)