Apr 8, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along news that Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson participated in some skating drills, less than two months after suffering a season-ending lacerated Achilles tendon.
Now it sounds like he’s eying a return to action.
“It’s not that far-fetched,” Anderson told Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun about Karlsson’s potential return before the end of the regular season.
“I saw video of him skating this morning and I was quite impressed,” Anderson quipped. “He skates better than I do.”
Karlsson suffered the injury roughly seven weeks ago and, after undergoing immediate surgery to repair the tendon, was given a recovery window of 3-4 months.
The “silver lining” at the time was he only suffered a 70 percent laceration. A fully severed tendon required a shortening process that could have significantly delayed Karlsson’s rehab.
As for the possibility of returning this year…
The Sens have 10 games remaining in the regular season, with their season finale on Saturday, Apr. 27 against the Flyers.
That would give Karlsson nearly three more weeks of rehab before getting in a game prior to the playoffs, assuming Ottawa makes it.
The Senators currently sit sixth in the Eastern Conference with 44 points, four clear of ninth-place New Jersey with a game in hand.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)