Apr 8, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Earlier today, we passed along news that Ottawa defenseman Erik Karlsson participated in some skating drills, less than two months after suffering a season-ending lacerated Achilles tendon.
Now it sounds like he’s eying a return to action.
“It’s not that far-fetched,” Anderson told Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun about Karlsson’s potential return before the end of the regular season.
“I saw video of him skating this morning and I was quite impressed,” Anderson quipped. “He skates better than I do.”
Karlsson suffered the injury roughly seven weeks ago and, after undergoing immediate surgery to repair the tendon, was given a recovery window of 3-4 months.
The “silver lining” at the time was he only suffered a 70 percent laceration. A fully severed tendon required a shortening process that could have significantly delayed Karlsson’s rehab.
As for the possibility of returning this year…
The Sens have 10 games remaining in the regular season, with their season finale on Saturday, Apr. 27 against the Flyers.
That would give Karlsson nearly three more weeks of rehab before getting in a game prior to the playoffs, assuming Ottawa makes it.
The Senators currently sit sixth in the Eastern Conference with 44 points, four clear of ninth-place New Jersey with a game in hand.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (80)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)