Apr 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
On Sunday, NHL COO John Collins discussed the possibility of playing multiple outdoor games next season, including potentially one at Dodger Stadium.
A Kings representative confirmed that a Los Angeles outdoor game is “moving in the direction of happening,” according to LA Kings Insider. The rink would be operational for two weeks to allow for an alumni game and other contests. The actual NHL game would be played at night so that the sun wouldn’t be shining onto the ice.
That might just be part one in an ambitious weekend for the NHL though.
The game, which would also reportedly feature the Anaheim Ducks, would take place on Saturday Jan. 25, 2014. The NHL has interest in holding a second outdoor game the next day in New York, ideally in Yankee Stadium, according to the Los Angeles Times.
That’s all in addition to the Winter Classic, which will be between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs on Jan. 1, 2014.
The NHL does see a potential downside in holding too many outdoor games.
“There are people who say you’ll dilute what is a good, special thing,” Collins said in a Yahoo! report. “No one would be more concerned about not screwing up a good thing than we would be.”
At the same time there is, as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman put it, “tremendous interest” in outdoor games. There are plenty of cities and teams that want to host them, including those that have already gotten a turn.
“Putting aside its national impact, when you see what it does locally, it’s incredible,” Bettman said.
If these ambitions become a reality, then more cities will be able to experience that local impact.
Jul 26, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
Can they compromise by Tuesday?
Jul 26, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Positive updates following a scary situation.
Jul 26, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Dominic Moore spearheaded it, but Stephane Veilleux dominated.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
The player wants $4.95 million; New York argues for $3.825 million.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
He was one of the team’s most frequent hitters in 2014-15.
Jul 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Nathan Walker spent the 2013-14 campaign in the AHL.
Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Vancouver took him with the sixth overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
He signed with the AHL Oklahoma City Barons.
Jul 25, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
That wasn’t the case when he began his career.
Jul 25, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
He’s a restricted free agent, but might end up returning to Switzerland.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
In a way, she played a role in him working for the Canucks.
Jul 25, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
He lost the starting job to Jonathan Bernier last season.
Jul 25, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
He was taken with the fourth overall pick.
Jul 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Two-time Stanley Cup winner played last season with KHL club HC Donbass.
Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
“I wish I had a really good answer — where this came from and why, and how it came about — but I don’t, to be honest.”
Jul 25, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We’re hoping the change of scenery is going to do him good.”
Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.
Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”
Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)