Apr 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
On Sunday, NHL COO John Collins discussed the possibility of playing multiple outdoor games next season, including potentially one at Dodger Stadium.
A Kings representative confirmed that a Los Angeles outdoor game is “moving in the direction of happening,” according to LA Kings Insider. The rink would be operational for two weeks to allow for an alumni game and other contests. The actual NHL game would be played at night so that the sun wouldn’t be shining onto the ice.
That might just be part one in an ambitious weekend for the NHL though.
The game, which would also reportedly feature the Anaheim Ducks, would take place on Saturday Jan. 25, 2014. The NHL has interest in holding a second outdoor game the next day in New York, ideally in Yankee Stadium, according to the Los Angeles Times.
That’s all in addition to the Winter Classic, which will be between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs on Jan. 1, 2014.
The NHL does see a potential downside in holding too many outdoor games.
“There are people who say you’ll dilute what is a good, special thing,” Collins said in a Yahoo! report. “No one would be more concerned about not screwing up a good thing than we would be.”
At the same time there is, as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman put it, “tremendous interest” in outdoor games. There are plenty of cities and teams that want to host them, including those that have already gotten a turn.
“Putting aside its national impact, when you see what it does locally, it’s incredible,” Bettman said.
If these ambitions become a reality, then more cities will be able to experience that local impact.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
San Jose hosts Buffalo in a Saturday matinee
Oct 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Stars overcome controversial goal call for win in New Jersey.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 20
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)