Apr 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
On Sunday, NHL COO John Collins discussed the possibility of playing multiple outdoor games next season, including potentially one at Dodger Stadium.
A Kings representative confirmed that a Los Angeles outdoor game is “moving in the direction of happening,” according to LA Kings Insider. The rink would be operational for two weeks to allow for an alumni game and other contests. The actual NHL game would be played at night so that the sun wouldn’t be shining onto the ice.
That might just be part one in an ambitious weekend for the NHL though.
The game, which would also reportedly feature the Anaheim Ducks, would take place on Saturday Jan. 25, 2014. The NHL has interest in holding a second outdoor game the next day in New York, ideally in Yankee Stadium, according to the Los Angeles Times.
That’s all in addition to the Winter Classic, which will be between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs on Jan. 1, 2014.
The NHL does see a potential downside in holding too many outdoor games.
“There are people who say you’ll dilute what is a good, special thing,” Collins said in a Yahoo! report. “No one would be more concerned about not screwing up a good thing than we would be.”
At the same time there is, as NHL commissioner Gary Bettman put it, “tremendous interest” in outdoor games. There are plenty of cities and teams that want to host them, including those that have already gotten a turn.
“Putting aside its national impact, when you see what it does locally, it’s incredible,” Bettman said.
If these ambitions become a reality, then more cities will be able to experience that local impact.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)