Apr 8, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Brenden Morrow has played in six games for the Penguins since being acquired from Dallas on Mar. 24, and has just one assist to show for it.
Yet there’s no concern about his lack of production within the Pittsburgh organization.
“If we could add grit and leadership to our top nine, we wanted that element,” Pens GM Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “That led us to the Morrow deal. His game is not so much about stats and goals, even though I believe he will chip in.
“He could be that battle-tested guy who comes up big for us in many ways.”
The Trib notes Morrow has racked up other key stats since becoming a Penguin — a team-high 15 hits over the last three games, most notably — which could be a sign the 34-year-old’s finding his role within the offense.
Still, the Pens would probably like Morrow to find the back of the net soon.
His goalless drought dates back to Mar. 7 (when he was still with the Stars) and he’s now gone 12 games all told without finding the back of the net.
Granted, goalscoring has never been Morrow’s forte. He’s been a consistent scorer, potting 20-plus seven times and 30-plus twice, but never a dynamic one.
The consistency factor is probably why he’s unconcerned about the recent slump.
“Of course, I wish I had already scored,” Morrow told the Tribune-Review. “Throughout my career I just do the simple things and I keep going to the net.
“Eventually, the hockey gods start sending the bounces my way.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)