Apr 8, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Brenden Morrow has played in six games for the Penguins since being acquired from Dallas on Mar. 24, and has just one assist to show for it.
Yet there’s no concern about his lack of production within the Pittsburgh organization.
“If we could add grit and leadership to our top nine, we wanted that element,” Pens GM Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “That led us to the Morrow deal. His game is not so much about stats and goals, even though I believe he will chip in.
“He could be that battle-tested guy who comes up big for us in many ways.”
The Trib notes Morrow has racked up other key stats since becoming a Penguin — a team-high 15 hits over the last three games, most notably — which could be a sign the 34-year-old’s finding his role within the offense.
Still, the Pens would probably like Morrow to find the back of the net soon.
His goalless drought dates back to Mar. 7 (when he was still with the Stars) and he’s now gone 12 games all told without finding the back of the net.
Granted, goalscoring has never been Morrow’s forte. He’s been a consistent scorer, potting 20-plus seven times and 30-plus twice, but never a dynamic one.
The consistency factor is probably why he’s unconcerned about the recent slump.
“Of course, I wish I had already scored,” Morrow told the Tribune-Review. “Throughout my career I just do the simple things and I keep going to the net.
“Eventually, the hockey gods start sending the bounces my way.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 11
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)