Apr 8, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Brenden Morrow has played in six games for the Penguins since being acquired from Dallas on Mar. 24, and has just one assist to show for it.
Yet there’s no concern about his lack of production within the Pittsburgh organization.
“If we could add grit and leadership to our top nine, we wanted that element,” Pens GM Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “That led us to the Morrow deal. His game is not so much about stats and goals, even though I believe he will chip in.
“He could be that battle-tested guy who comes up big for us in many ways.”
The Trib notes Morrow has racked up other key stats since becoming a Penguin — a team-high 15 hits over the last three games, most notably — which could be a sign the 34-year-old’s finding his role within the offense.
Still, the Pens would probably like Morrow to find the back of the net soon.
His goalless drought dates back to Mar. 7 (when he was still with the Stars) and he’s now gone 12 games all told without finding the back of the net.
Granted, goalscoring has never been Morrow’s forte. He’s been a consistent scorer, potting 20-plus seven times and 30-plus twice, but never a dynamic one.
The consistency factor is probably why he’s unconcerned about the recent slump.
“Of course, I wish I had already scored,” Morrow told the Tribune-Review. “Throughout my career I just do the simple things and I keep going to the net.
“Eventually, the hockey gods start sending the bounces my way.”
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 20
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 45
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9