Apr 8, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Brenden Morrow has played in six games for the Penguins since being acquired from Dallas on Mar. 24, and has just one assist to show for it.
Yet there’s no concern about his lack of production within the Pittsburgh organization.
“If we could add grit and leadership to our top nine, we wanted that element,” Pens GM Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “That led us to the Morrow deal. His game is not so much about stats and goals, even though I believe he will chip in.
“He could be that battle-tested guy who comes up big for us in many ways.”
The Trib notes Morrow has racked up other key stats since becoming a Penguin — a team-high 15 hits over the last three games, most notably — which could be a sign the 34-year-old’s finding his role within the offense.
Still, the Pens would probably like Morrow to find the back of the net soon.
His goalless drought dates back to Mar. 7 (when he was still with the Stars) and he’s now gone 12 games all told without finding the back of the net.
Granted, goalscoring has never been Morrow’s forte. He’s been a consistent scorer, potting 20-plus seven times and 30-plus twice, but never a dynamic one.
The consistency factor is probably why he’s unconcerned about the recent slump.
“Of course, I wish I had already scored,” Morrow told the Tribune-Review. “Throughout my career I just do the simple things and I keep going to the net.
“Eventually, the hockey gods start sending the bounces my way.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)