Apr 8, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Brenden Morrow has played in six games for the Penguins since being acquired from Dallas on Mar. 24, and has just one assist to show for it.
Yet there’s no concern about his lack of production within the Pittsburgh organization.
“If we could add grit and leadership to our top nine, we wanted that element,” Pens GM Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “That led us to the Morrow deal. His game is not so much about stats and goals, even though I believe he will chip in.
“He could be that battle-tested guy who comes up big for us in many ways.”
The Trib notes Morrow has racked up other key stats since becoming a Penguin — a team-high 15 hits over the last three games, most notably — which could be a sign the 34-year-old’s finding his role within the offense.
Still, the Pens would probably like Morrow to find the back of the net soon.
His goalless drought dates back to Mar. 7 (when he was still with the Stars) and he’s now gone 12 games all told without finding the back of the net.
Granted, goalscoring has never been Morrow’s forte. He’s been a consistent scorer, potting 20-plus seven times and 30-plus twice, but never a dynamic one.
The consistency factor is probably why he’s unconcerned about the recent slump.
“Of course, I wish I had already scored,” Morrow told the Tribune-Review. “Throughout my career I just do the simple things and I keep going to the net.
“Eventually, the hockey gods start sending the bounces my way.”
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 0
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 2
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 16
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 27
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 35
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 32
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)