Apr 8, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Ovechkin earned the honor with seven goals in four games, including a hat trick Saturday against Florida. The 27-year-old scored twice more Sunday versus Tampa Bay, moving into a tie with Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos for the most goals (25) in the NHL.
Yesterday, Ovechkin credited Washington’s new head coach, Adam Oates, for much of his resurgence.
“It’s trust. That’s what I don’t have last year,” Ovechkin said, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. “When you have that kind of feelings you just want to go out there, play for your team for your coach and do your best.”
The recent play of Elliott (3-0-0 with a .952 save percentage in three appearances) has been especially encouraging for St. Louis, which hasn’t received particularly good goaltending this season. The Blues’ team save percentage is .893, tied for 27th in the NHL.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)