Apr 8, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Ovechkin earned the honor with seven goals in four games, including a hat trick Saturday against Florida. The 27-year-old scored twice more Sunday versus Tampa Bay, moving into a tie with Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos for the most goals (25) in the NHL.
Yesterday, Ovechkin credited Washington’s new head coach, Adam Oates, for much of his resurgence.
“It’s trust. That’s what I don’t have last year,” Ovechkin said, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. “When you have that kind of feelings you just want to go out there, play for your team for your coach and do your best.”
The recent play of Elliott (3-0-0 with a .952 save percentage in three appearances) has been especially encouraging for St. Louis, which hasn’t received particularly good goaltending this season. The Blues’ team save percentage is .893, tied for 27th in the NHL.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)