Apr 8, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
Ovechkin earned the honor with seven goals in four games, including a hat trick Saturday against Florida. The 27-year-old scored twice more Sunday versus Tampa Bay, moving into a tie with Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos for the most goals (25) in the NHL.
Yesterday, Ovechkin credited Washington’s new head coach, Adam Oates, for much of his resurgence.
“It’s trust. That’s what I don’t have last year,” Ovechkin said, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. “When you have that kind of feelings you just want to go out there, play for your team for your coach and do your best.”
The recent play of Elliott (3-0-0 with a .952 save percentage in three appearances) has been especially encouraging for St. Louis, which hasn’t received particularly good goaltending this season. The Blues’ team save percentage is .893, tied for 27th in the NHL.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)