Apr 8, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
The Alexei Emelin-Milan Lucic collision from Saturday’s Montreal-Boston game has turned out to be extremely costly for the Canadiens.
On Monday, the club announced that Emelin suffered a torn ligament in his left knee on the hit, an injury that will force him to miss the remainder of the season.
Here’s the hit in question:
Emelin initiated contact and was originally thought to have suffered a Charley-horse on the play.
Obviously, the injury is much more significant than that.
The loss will be a big one for Montreal, as the Russian blueliner was in the midst of a solid campaign.
He scored 3G-9A-12PTS in 38 games while averaging close to 20 minutes per night, leading the Habs in hits (110) and sitting third in blocked shots (47).
The move could force Tomas Kaberle, who has been a repeat healthy scratch this year, back into action, or the Habs could lean on one of their youngsters — 20-year-olds Jarred Tinordi/Nathan Beaulieu, or 22-year-old Greg Pateryn.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 13
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 87
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)