Apr 8, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
The Alexei Emelin-Milan Lucic collision from Saturday’s Montreal-Boston game has turned out to be extremely costly for the Canadiens.
On Monday, the club announced that Emelin suffered a torn ligament in his left knee on the hit, an injury that will force him to miss the remainder of the season.
Here’s the hit in question:
Emelin initiated contact and was originally thought to have suffered a Charley-horse on the play.
Obviously, the injury is much more significant than that.
The loss will be a big one for Montreal, as the Russian blueliner was in the midst of a solid campaign.
He scored 3G-9A-12PTS in 38 games while averaging close to 20 minutes per night, leading the Habs in hits (110) and sitting third in blocked shots (47).
The move could force Tomas Kaberle, who has been a repeat healthy scratch this year, back into action, or the Habs could lean on one of their youngsters — 20-year-olds Jarred Tinordi/Nathan Beaulieu, or 22-year-old Greg Pateryn.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 1
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)