Apr 8, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
The Alexei Emelin-Milan Lucic collision from Saturday’s Montreal-Boston game has turned out to be extremely costly for the Canadiens.
On Monday, the club announced that Emelin suffered a torn ligament in his left knee on the hit, an injury that will force him to miss the remainder of the season.
Here’s the hit in question:
Emelin initiated contact and was originally thought to have suffered a Charley-horse on the play.
Obviously, the injury is much more significant than that.
The loss will be a big one for Montreal, as the Russian blueliner was in the midst of a solid campaign.
He scored 3G-9A-12PTS in 38 games while averaging close to 20 minutes per night, leading the Habs in hits (110) and sitting third in blocked shots (47).
The move could force Tomas Kaberle, who has been a repeat healthy scratch this year, back into action, or the Habs could lean on one of their youngsters — 20-year-olds Jarred Tinordi/Nathan Beaulieu, or 22-year-old Greg Pateryn.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)