Apr 8, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
The Alexei Emelin-Milan Lucic collision from Saturday’s Montreal-Boston game has turned out to be extremely costly for the Canadiens.
On Monday, the club announced that Emelin suffered a torn ligament in his left knee on the hit, an injury that will force him to miss the remainder of the season.
Here’s the hit in question:
Emelin initiated contact and was originally thought to have suffered a Charley-horse on the play.
Obviously, the injury is much more significant than that.
The loss will be a big one for Montreal, as the Russian blueliner was in the midst of a solid campaign.
He scored 3G-9A-12PTS in 38 games while averaging close to 20 minutes per night, leading the Habs in hits (110) and sitting third in blocked shots (47).
The move could force Tomas Kaberle, who has been a repeat healthy scratch this year, back into action, or the Habs could lean on one of their youngsters — 20-year-olds Jarred Tinordi/Nathan Beaulieu, or 22-year-old Greg Pateryn.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)