Apr 8, 2013, 11:04 PM EST
With some key players out of the mix for the Calgary Flames, guys like Matt Stajan are getting a chance to prove they belong. That opportunity might be cut short by injury issues, however.
Stajan, 29, suffered an upper-body injury during Monday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche. He won’t return to that contest.
He has almost a point every other game (23 in 37 contests) this season, including two assists in his last full game on April 6.
Like quite a few other Flames players, Stajan’s contract has drawn plenty of derision. His four-year, $14 million deal ($3.5 million cap hit) will expire after the 2013-14 season.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (44)