Apr 8, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
With some key players out of the mix for the Calgary Flames, guys like Matt Stajan are getting a chance to prove they belong. That opportunity might be cut short by injury issues, however.
Stajan, 29, suffered an upper-body injury during Monday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche. He won’t return to that contest.
He has almost a point every other game (23 in 37 contests) this season, including two assists in his last full game on April 6.
Like quite a few other Flames players, Stajan’s contract has drawn plenty of derision. His four-year, $14 million deal ($3.5 million cap hit) will expire after the 2013-14 season.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 10
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 34
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20