Apr 8, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
With some key players out of the mix for the Calgary Flames, guys like Matt Stajan are getting a chance to prove they belong. That opportunity might be cut short by injury issues, however.
Stajan, 29, suffered an upper-body injury during Monday’s game against the Colorado Avalanche. He won’t return to that contest.
He has almost a point every other game (23 in 37 contests) this season, including two assists in his last full game on April 6.
Like quite a few other Flames players, Stajan’s contract has drawn plenty of derision. His four-year, $14 million deal ($3.5 million cap hit) will expire after the 2013-14 season.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)