Apr 8, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
It appears the concept of an outdoor hockey game in Los Angeles was news to Drew Doughty.
The Kings defenseman was asked about the rumored outdoor game — to be reportedly played at Dodgers Stadium — that would feature Los Angeles and their Freeway Faceoff rivals, the Anaheim Ducks.
The question was asked, conveniently enough, following LA’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Ducks on Sunday.
Doughty hadn’t heard about the rumored game, and had some questions of his own.
“I don’t understand how that would work,” Doughty told reporters. “Isn’t it too hot?
“Would it not be too hot? The ice would be crappy, for sure.”
To be fair to Doughty, he was asked what it would be like to play “in front of 55,000 people,” and in 70 degree weather.
That question wasn’t entirely accurate — while the attendance might be that high, the game will reportedly be played in the evening, to mitigate weather concerns.
(Specifically, to make sure the sun isn’t shining on the ice during the game.)
Here’s an average monthly weather chart for Los Angeles, if you’re so inclined to check it out.
When asked about the atmosphere for a potential Dodger Stadium game, Doughty sounded excited.
“It’d be cool, fun,” he said. “I’ve never played in a bigger crown than 18,000, or whatever the biggest NHL rink is. To be able to do that would be pretty fun.”
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 24
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)