Apr 8, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
It appears the concept of an outdoor hockey game in Los Angeles was news to Drew Doughty.
The Kings defenseman was asked about the rumored outdoor game — to be reportedly played at Dodgers Stadium — that would feature Los Angeles and their Freeway Faceoff rivals, the Anaheim Ducks.
The question was asked, conveniently enough, following LA’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Ducks on Sunday.
Doughty hadn’t heard about the rumored game, and had some questions of his own.
“I don’t understand how that would work,” Doughty told reporters. “Isn’t it too hot?
“Would it not be too hot? The ice would be crappy, for sure.”
To be fair to Doughty, he was asked what it would be like to play “in front of 55,000 people,” and in 70 degree weather.
That question wasn’t entirely accurate — while the attendance might be that high, the game will reportedly be played in the evening, to mitigate weather concerns.
(Specifically, to make sure the sun isn’t shining on the ice during the game.)
Here’s an average monthly weather chart for Los Angeles, if you’re so inclined to check it out.
When asked about the atmosphere for a potential Dodger Stadium game, Doughty sounded excited.
“It’d be cool, fun,” he said. “I’ve never played in a bigger crown than 18,000, or whatever the biggest NHL rink is. To be able to do that would be pretty fun.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)