Apr 8, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
It appears the concept of an outdoor hockey game in Los Angeles was news to Drew Doughty.
The Kings defenseman was asked about the rumored outdoor game — to be reportedly played at Dodgers Stadium — that would feature Los Angeles and their Freeway Faceoff rivals, the Anaheim Ducks.
The question was asked, conveniently enough, following LA’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Ducks on Sunday.
Doughty hadn’t heard about the rumored game, and had some questions of his own.
“I don’t understand how that would work,” Doughty told reporters. “Isn’t it too hot?
“Would it not be too hot? The ice would be crappy, for sure.”
To be fair to Doughty, he was asked what it would be like to play “in front of 55,000 people,” and in 70 degree weather.
That question wasn’t entirely accurate — while the attendance might be that high, the game will reportedly be played in the evening, to mitigate weather concerns.
(Specifically, to make sure the sun isn’t shining on the ice during the game.)
Here’s an average monthly weather chart for Los Angeles, if you’re so inclined to check it out.
When asked about the atmosphere for a potential Dodger Stadium game, Doughty sounded excited.
“It’d be cool, fun,” he said. “I’ve never played in a bigger crown than 18,000, or whatever the biggest NHL rink is. To be able to do that would be pretty fun.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)