Apr 8, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
It appears the concept of an outdoor hockey game in Los Angeles was news to Drew Doughty.
The Kings defenseman was asked about the rumored outdoor game — to be reportedly played at Dodgers Stadium — that would feature Los Angeles and their Freeway Faceoff rivals, the Anaheim Ducks.
The question was asked, conveniently enough, following LA’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Ducks on Sunday.
Doughty hadn’t heard about the rumored game, and had some questions of his own.
“I don’t understand how that would work,” Doughty told reporters. “Isn’t it too hot?
“Would it not be too hot? The ice would be crappy, for sure.”
To be fair to Doughty, he was asked what it would be like to play “in front of 55,000 people,” and in 70 degree weather.
That question wasn’t entirely accurate — while the attendance might be that high, the game will reportedly be played in the evening, to mitigate weather concerns.
(Specifically, to make sure the sun isn’t shining on the ice during the game.)
Here’s an average monthly weather chart for Los Angeles, if you’re so inclined to check it out.
When asked about the atmosphere for a potential Dodger Stadium game, Doughty sounded excited.
“It’d be cool, fun,” he said. “I’ve never played in a bigger crown than 18,000, or whatever the biggest NHL rink is. To be able to do that would be pretty fun.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5