Apr 8, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
It appears the concept of an outdoor hockey game in Los Angeles was news to Drew Doughty.
The Kings defenseman was asked about the rumored outdoor game — to be reportedly played at Dodgers Stadium — that would feature Los Angeles and their Freeway Faceoff rivals, the Anaheim Ducks.
The question was asked, conveniently enough, following LA’s 4-3 shootout loss to the Ducks on Sunday.
Doughty hadn’t heard about the rumored game, and had some questions of his own.
“I don’t understand how that would work,” Doughty told reporters. “Isn’t it too hot?
“Would it not be too hot? The ice would be crappy, for sure.”
To be fair to Doughty, he was asked what it would be like to play “in front of 55,000 people,” and in 70 degree weather.
That question wasn’t entirely accurate — while the attendance might be that high, the game will reportedly be played in the evening, to mitigate weather concerns.
(Specifically, to make sure the sun isn’t shining on the ice during the game.)
Here’s an average monthly weather chart for Los Angeles, if you’re so inclined to check it out.
When asked about the atmosphere for a potential Dodger Stadium game, Doughty sounded excited.
“It’d be cool, fun,” he said. “I’ve never played in a bigger crown than 18,000, or whatever the biggest NHL rink is. To be able to do that would be pretty fun.”
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)