Apr 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
The bright side for the Toronto Maple Leafs is they’re on the verge of making their first playoff appearance since 2004.
The potential dark side is there’s a good chance they’ll be facing a team that’s absolutely dominated them in the past couple of regular seasons.
According to Sports Club Stats, the Leafs and Bruins are the most likely first-round playoff match-up. Toronto has a 63 percent shot of finishing fifth in the Eastern Conference, while Boston is at 60 percent to finish fourth.
Granted, when you combine the two probabilities, there’s a better chance (62%) that the two teams don’t meet. But wouldn’t it be something if it happened?
The optimistic Leafs fan (if that’s something that still exists after all these years of playoff misses) will point out that Toronto finally beat Boston a couple of weeks ago, ending an eight-game losing streak against the 2011 Stanley Cup champs.
As for other potential first-round matchups, a Penguins-Islanders series is at around 20 percent while, in the West, there’s a decent chance (35%) the Blackhawks and Red Wings renew their historic rivalry.
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 0
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 8
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 2
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 30
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 32
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)