Apr 7, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith returned with a bang on Saturday.
Actually, it might be more accurate to call it a “smashing” comeback. He stopped all 24 Colorado Avalanche shots as the Coyotes won 4-0, but most might remember this moment of combined brilliance and rage the most:
So, just to be clear: Smith doesn’t like it when a player (in this case Cody McLeod) takes an extra stab at the puck. It’s probably worth noting that he was banged up from a collision with Alexander Edler, so maybe he’s making a statement that he’s not to be trifled with.
Then again, NHL.com’s Michael Blinn remarks that he might just have been testing out the quality of the stick. That would be awfully thoughtful, don’t you think?
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 19
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 45
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10