Apr 7, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
One cannot blame Nashville Predators fans who pine to see recently acquired prospect Filip Forsberg enjoy his first bit of NHL action. They’ll get a taste of a different first-rounder on Sunday, however, as Austin Watson is set to play his first game at the highest level.
Watson, 21, was the 18th overall pick of the 2010 NHL Draft. He gets thrown right into the fire as Nashville faces the Chicago Blackhawks tonight.
If his Hockey’s Future write-up is any indication, Watson is the type of player who should fit well into head coach Barry Trotz’s system.
Watson is a solid two-way center but with the versatility to play the wing and the shutdown role against the opposition’s best forwards. He can take over games with his effort and determination. The big forward does all the little things well in order to win hockey games: blocking shots, making the big hit, winning the important face-offs and scoring the timely goals. The first round pick has good offensive skills but does not project into a big goal scorer at the NHL level just a solid shutdown center with some offensive upside. Watson is the type of player that a team needs to win playoff games and championships.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)