Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin couldn’t be much hotter right now. Fresh off Saturday’s hat trick, Ovechkin had a stunning 13 goals in his last 11 games going into Sunday’s game against Steven Stamkos and the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Stamkos had a two goal edge on Ovechkin going into this contest. However, Stamkos was silenced by Washington Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth while Ovechkin netted the Capitals’ first goal of the game.
You can see Ovechkin’s 24th goal of the season below:
Ovechkin then tied Stamkos in the Rocket Richard Trophy race with an empty netter that finalized Washington’s 4-2 victory.
It was Ovechkin’s first empty net goal of the season, which ties him with Stamkos in that regard.
Since the NHL started awarding the Rocket Richard Trophy in 1998–99, no player has ever won it three times. However, Ovechkin and Stamkos have both won the award twice.
The 27-year-old Capitals captain has effectively bounced back from two “off” years, where he was still one of the league’s better scorers, but didn’t live up to the high standards he’s held to.
Ovechkin credited coach Adam Oates for his resurgence.
“It’s trust. That’s what I don’t have last year,” Ovechkin said, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. “When you have that kind of feelings you just want to go out there, play for your team for your coach and do your best.”
Oates demonstrated that trust by allowing Ovechkin to play late into a close game.
Ovechkin’s rise has also helped the Washington Capitals overcome their early season struggles. With Sunday’s win they now have a two point lead over the Winnipeg Jets in the Southeast Division race.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
The Calgary defenseman was sidelined since Oct. 21.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
He notched a career-high four points Wednesday.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
Head coach Patrick Roy hasn’t been happy with his work.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Detroit sees end of four-game winning streak.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Joining his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Montreal gets seventh win in eight games.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
A handsome salary.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Rare good injury news for the Red Wings.
Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
That’s almost $15 million in cap hits on the shelf.
Dec 4, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander get called up.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?”
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Hard lines, Team Finland.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Tough blow for the reigning Vezina winner.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:14 PM EST
And as a bonus, their names rhyme.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
Neither he nor Michal Handzus will suit up in Minnesota.
Dec 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
He’s missed the last three games.
Dec 4, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
That picture was not taken today.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
With a special shout-out to Austria’s 1927 European championship team.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
“Frankly, in my mind we’re playing him too much.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)