Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin couldn’t be much hotter right now. Fresh off Saturday’s hat trick, Ovechkin had a stunning 13 goals in his last 11 games going into Sunday’s game against Steven Stamkos and the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Stamkos had a two goal edge on Ovechkin going into this contest. However, Stamkos was silenced by Washington Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth while Ovechkin netted the Capitals’ first goal of the game.
You can see Ovechkin’s 24th goal of the season below:
Ovechkin then tied Stamkos in the Rocket Richard Trophy race with an empty netter that finalized Washington’s 4-2 victory.
It was Ovechkin’s first empty net goal of the season, which ties him with Stamkos in that regard.
Since the NHL started awarding the Rocket Richard Trophy in 1998–99, no player has ever won it three times. However, Ovechkin and Stamkos have both won the award twice.
The 27-year-old Capitals captain has effectively bounced back from two “off” years, where he was still one of the league’s better scorers, but didn’t live up to the high standards he’s held to.
Ovechkin credited coach Adam Oates for his resurgence.
“It’s trust. That’s what I don’t have last year,” Ovechkin said, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. “When you have that kind of feelings you just want to go out there, play for your team for your coach and do your best.”
Oates demonstrated that trust by allowing Ovechkin to play late into a close game.
Ovechkin’s rise has also helped the Washington Capitals overcome their early season struggles. With Sunday’s win they now have a two point lead over the Winnipeg Jets in the Southeast Division race.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
May 23, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
But will it last?
May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)