Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin couldn’t be much hotter right now. Fresh off Saturday’s hat trick, Ovechkin had a stunning 13 goals in his last 11 games going into Sunday’s game against Steven Stamkos and the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Stamkos had a two goal edge on Ovechkin going into this contest. However, Stamkos was silenced by Washington Capitals goaltender Michal Neuvirth while Ovechkin netted the Capitals’ first goal of the game.
You can see Ovechkin’s 24th goal of the season below:
Ovechkin then tied Stamkos in the Rocket Richard Trophy race with an empty netter that finalized Washington’s 4-2 victory.
It was Ovechkin’s first empty net goal of the season, which ties him with Stamkos in that regard.
Since the NHL started awarding the Rocket Richard Trophy in 1998–99, no player has ever won it three times. However, Ovechkin and Stamkos have both won the award twice.
The 27-year-old Capitals captain has effectively bounced back from two “off” years, where he was still one of the league’s better scorers, but didn’t live up to the high standards he’s held to.
Ovechkin credited coach Adam Oates for his resurgence.
“It’s trust. That’s what I don’t have last year,” Ovechkin said, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera. “When you have that kind of feelings you just want to go out there, play for your team for your coach and do your best.”
Oates demonstrated that trust by allowing Ovechkin to play late into a close game.
Ovechkin’s rise has also helped the Washington Capitals overcome their early season struggles. With Sunday’s win they now have a two point lead over the Winnipeg Jets in the Southeast Division race.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 AM EDT
Rookie Jonathan Drouin played less than 10 minutes in the win.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Not quite a fight.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Michel Therrien “That was a dirty hit to the head”
Oct 31, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
Canucks conclude October with a 7-3 record.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT
Picked up his 1,000th point.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Scores twice in 5-0 win.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Adds defensive depth.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Allegedly endorsed a New York Islanders pay check to cover gambling debt
Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
End an 0-18 skid.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The play was reviewed and was ruled a good goal.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Collided with Alex Steen of the Blues.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Gets a lucky bounce off Zach Parise.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Absent from tonight’s game against the Blackhawks.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Was slow to the bench, but remains in the game.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Recovering from a lower body injury.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Nice feed to Kunitz
Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Two big boys land some pretty good shots.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Abdominal injury hits the center once again.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
Adds depth as Toronto travels to Columbus.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
“I don’t know too many people who jump into the league at 19 (years old) and are playing 22 minutes a night, it just doesn’t really happen.”
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)