Apr 7, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues will head into Sunday’s game (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC) as the seventh- and eighth-place teams in the Western Conference.
As if they needed anther reason to make the battle heated.
These two long-time rivals will renew acquaintances and fight for postseason positioning at Joe Louis Arena in their fifth and final meeting of the year — and, if the previous four matchups have taught us anything, it’s to expect the unexpected.
It will also be the last time the two teams will meet as division rivals thanks to realignment – at least in the regular season.
The Blues won the opening meeting of the season in dominant fashion, bombing the Wings 6-0.
In Game No. 2, Detroit gained a measure of revenge by winning 5-3 on the strength of a Henrik Zetterberg hat-trick.
The third game saw the Wings make full amends for the 6-0 blowout, as they crushed the Blues 5-1.
And, in the most recent game (Feb. 13), the Blues beat the Wings 4-3 in overtime, rallying from an early 2-0 deficit to win it on Alex Steen‘s OT winner.
As for current form, Detroit comes into Sunday’s game on a roll, having won two of their last three. That includes Friday’s wild 3-2 overtime win over Colorado, in which Pavel Datsyuk scored the game-winner with 15 seconds remaining — giving the Wings a win despite being out-shot 35-31.
The Blues, meanwhile, have won three straight, including a crucial 3-1 victory over Columbus on Friday. Captain David Backes scored the game winner, and rookie netminder Jake Allen stopped 26 of 27 shots as the Blues held off the hard-charging Blue Jackets, who now sit tied for ninth in the West.
As mentioned above, the game will be on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET, and also available for live streaming at NBCSports.com.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)