Apr 7, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues will head into Sunday’s game (12:30 p.m. ET, NBC) as the seventh- and eighth-place teams in the Western Conference.
As if they needed anther reason to make the battle heated.
These two long-time rivals will renew acquaintances and fight for postseason positioning at Joe Louis Arena in their fifth and final meeting of the year — and, if the previous four matchups have taught us anything, it’s to expect the unexpected.
It will also be the last time the two teams will meet as division rivals thanks to realignment – at least in the regular season.
The Blues won the opening meeting of the season in dominant fashion, bombing the Wings 6-0.
In Game No. 2, Detroit gained a measure of revenge by winning 5-3 on the strength of a Henrik Zetterberg hat-trick.
The third game saw the Wings make full amends for the 6-0 blowout, as they crushed the Blues 5-1.
And, in the most recent game (Feb. 13), the Blues beat the Wings 4-3 in overtime, rallying from an early 2-0 deficit to win it on Alex Steen‘s OT winner.
As for current form, Detroit comes into Sunday’s game on a roll, having won two of their last three. That includes Friday’s wild 3-2 overtime win over Colorado, in which Pavel Datsyuk scored the game-winner with 15 seconds remaining — giving the Wings a win despite being out-shot 35-31.
The Blues, meanwhile, have won three straight, including a crucial 3-1 victory over Columbus on Friday. Captain David Backes scored the game winner, and rookie netminder Jake Allen stopped 26 of 27 shots as the Blues held off the hard-charging Blue Jackets, who now sit tied for ninth in the West.
As mentioned above, the game will be on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET, and also available for live streaming at NBCSports.com.
May 26, 2015, 12:03 AM EDT
Will this be seen as the turning point of the series?
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)