Apr 7, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
One might say that the lockout didn’t kill the Toronto Maple Leafs-Detroit Red Wings version of the Winter Classic, it merely postponed it.
However you slice it, the NHL announced that the 2014 Winter Classic will feature those two teams at Michigan’s Big House, just like the 2013 one would have.
As a reminder, the NHL hopes to break the record for attendance for a live hockey event; that same building hosted 104,173 people for an outdoor game between the University of Michigan and Michigan State in 2010.
League commissioner Gary Bettman sets the stage for the big event.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika adds an interesting detail: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he’ll attempt to get Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom to play in the likely alumni game between the two franchise.
(Good luck keeping up if that happens, Montreal retirees.)
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (39)