Apr 7, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
One might say that the lockout didn’t kill the Toronto Maple Leafs-Detroit Red Wings version of the Winter Classic, it merely postponed it.
However you slice it, the NHL announced that the 2014 Winter Classic will feature those two teams at Michigan’s Big House, just like the 2013 one would have.
As a reminder, the NHL hopes to break the record for attendance for a live hockey event; that same building hosted 104,173 people for an outdoor game between the University of Michigan and Michigan State in 2010.
League commissioner Gary Bettman sets the stage for the big event.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika adds an interesting detail: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he’ll attempt to get Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom to play in the likely alumni game between the two franchise.
(Good luck keeping up if that happens, Montreal retirees.)
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18