Apr 7, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
One might say that the lockout didn’t kill the Toronto Maple Leafs-Detroit Red Wings version of the Winter Classic, it merely postponed it.
However you slice it, the NHL announced that the 2014 Winter Classic will feature those two teams at Michigan’s Big House, just like the 2013 one would have.
As a reminder, the NHL hopes to break the record for attendance for a live hockey event; that same building hosted 104,173 people for an outdoor game between the University of Michigan and Michigan State in 2010.
League commissioner Gary Bettman sets the stage for the big event.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika adds an interesting detail: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he’ll attempt to get Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom to play in the likely alumni game between the two franchise.
(Good luck keeping up if that happens, Montreal retirees.)
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 30
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (152)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)