Apr 7, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
One might say that the lockout didn’t kill the Toronto Maple Leafs-Detroit Red Wings version of the Winter Classic, it merely postponed it.
However you slice it, the NHL announced that the 2014 Winter Classic will feature those two teams at Michigan’s Big House, just like the 2013 one would have.
As a reminder, the NHL hopes to break the record for attendance for a live hockey event; that same building hosted 104,173 people for an outdoor game between the University of Michigan and Michigan State in 2010.
League commissioner Gary Bettman sets the stage for the big event.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika adds an interesting detail: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he’ll attempt to get Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom to play in the likely alumni game between the two franchise.
(Good luck keeping up if that happens, Montreal retirees.)
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)