Apr 7, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
One might say that the lockout didn’t kill the Toronto Maple Leafs-Detroit Red Wings version of the Winter Classic, it merely postponed it.
However you slice it, the NHL announced that the 2014 Winter Classic will feature those two teams at Michigan’s Big House, just like the 2013 one would have.
As a reminder, the NHL hopes to break the record for attendance for a live hockey event; that same building hosted 104,173 people for an outdoor game between the University of Michigan and Michigan State in 2010.
League commissioner Gary Bettman sets the stage for the big event.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika adds an interesting detail: Red Wings GM Ken Holland said he’ll attempt to get Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom to play in the likely alumni game between the two franchise.
(Good luck keeping up if that happens, Montreal retirees.)
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 0
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 4
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)