Apr 7, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
When the Flyers decided to take a chance on goaltender Steve Mason, one of the many questions asked was if he could handle the pressure of playing in Philadelphia.
Maybe in the long run it was for the best that he got his Flyers debut out of the way in a relief appearance with his team already down by three goals on Saturday. He made the most of it, turning aside all nine shots he faced in the third period of Philadelphia’s 4-1 loss to Winnipeg.
“This definitely wasn’t the most pressure-filled situation,” Mason admitted in a CSN Philly report.
“My job was to just go in and close the door for the remaining 20 minutes. Obviously, this wasn’t the result we were looking for coming here [to Winnipeg].”
Mason won the Calder Trophy in 2008-09 with the Columbus Blue Jackets, but his career has fallen apart since then. Now he’s been given an entirely fresh start in a new conference.
“The Eastern Conference is a little bit different,” the 24-year-old netminder said. “The Western Conference is a lot more rush plays so for a goaltender it’s really managing rush speed.
“I tried to make things simple out there and overall it was pretty good. It’s something to build off of. Since the trade’s been down, I haven’t had a practice yet, so I’m looking forward to getting out there with the team and really starting to figure things out here.”
It’s not clear when Mason will get his first start with the Flyers, but Ilya Bryzgalov would probably benefit from a breather after playing in 36 of Philadelphia’s 38 contests.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)