Apr 7, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks can become the first team in the Western Conference to guarantee their spot in the playoffs with at least a point against the Nashville Predators tonight.
With that being the backdrop for this contest, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville decided to start goaltender Ray Emery for the second time in as many days, according to Chicago Sun-Times’ writer Mark Lazerus.
The rationale behind that move isn’t hard to decipher. Emery earned a 20-save shutout against Nashville on Saturday, so why not go with the hot hand?
Still, starting netminder Corey Crawford has struggled lately after starting the season on a high note. Meanwhile Emery has remained largely consistent with a 13-1-0 record, 1.95 GAA, and .923 save percentage in 17 games. So should he at least be considered as a potential starter for the playoffs?
For his part, Quenneville left the door open to the Chicago Blackhawks taking the unconventional approach of using both of their goaltenders in the postseason.
You never know,” Quenneville told Lazerus. “I don’t want to say no. We’ll see. I’m not worried about it right now.”
Quenneville still has 11 regular season games, including tonight’s, before he has to decide how he’ll handle his goaltending situation in the playoffs.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)