Apr 7, 2013, 11:26 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils enjoyed a 8-1-3 start to the season — and have gone 7-13-7 since then.
At the same time they have now lost seven straight games for the first time since Jan. 24-Feb. 8, 1986, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
“Frustrating,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer told Gulitti. “I was proud and how hard we worked, but again we leave points on the table. There’s been too many of those.”
The only silver lining is that for the fourth time in those seven games, the Devils picked up a point by forcing the game into overtime. On Sunday, Devils defenseman Mark Fayne buried a shorthanded goal to tie the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The team ultimately lost in a shootout, but those four points over seven contests have at least kept them within striking distance of a playoff spot. They are just two points behind the eighth place New York Islanders.
The Devils will get two days off before attempting to end their losing streak against the Boston Bruins in NBCSN’s upcoming Wednesday Night Rivalry game.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)