Apr 7, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils enjoyed a 8-1-3 start to the season — and have gone 7-13-7 since then.
At the same time they have now lost seven straight games for the first time since Jan. 24-Feb. 8, 1986, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
“Frustrating,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer told Gulitti. “I was proud and how hard we worked, but again we leave points on the table. There’s been too many of those.”
The only silver lining is that for the fourth time in those seven games, the Devils picked up a point by forcing the game into overtime. On Sunday, Devils defenseman Mark Fayne buried a shorthanded goal to tie the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The team ultimately lost in a shootout, but those four points over seven contests have at least kept them within striking distance of a playoff spot. They are just two points behind the eighth place New York Islanders.
The Devils will get two days off before attempting to end their losing streak against the Boston Bruins in NBCSN’s upcoming Wednesday Night Rivalry game.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)